Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Authority of Scripture

For about a month, I have been part of a group on Facebook which consists solely of ELCA clergy.

I'm beginning to wonder about the value of belonging to such a group.  On the one hand, I have found a few gems worth gleaning; however, it seems like the more I read, the more I become depressed. 

In a very, real way, I tend to see many of my colleagues trying to separate fly $h!t from pepper--an extremely tedious task if you have ever tried it. :-)  And it always seems like someone is ready to bash someone else because they aren't quite theologically correct enough, liturgically correct enough, or what have you. 

Sometimes, it's a tough place to be.

For instance, in several threads the topic of the authority of Scripture has arisen.  We Lutherans have quite the interesting catch phrase when it comes to how we believe we are called to use the Bible: it is our "source and norm" for theology and faith.

In other words, it is our source.  It is the primary revelation of God to humankind.  Within its pages, we see how God has interacted with humanity, particularly through the people of Israel, culminating with the advent of Jesus Christ and the growth of the early church. 

It is also our norm or our measuring stick to see what God is about.  For instance, if someone comes up to us and says, "God has demanded that I kill all redheads.", we can look at the words of Scripture and see if this person is on the level.  Just for a note, based on the fifth commandment as well as Jesus' words to that anger is the equivalent of murder, I'd hazard just a slight guess, that the person in the above example is not following the norm of Scripture.

Of course, this is usually not enough for Lutherans.  We tend to enjoy a good argument and debate; for even though we might agree on this point, we still haven't gotten into separating the fly $h!t from the pepper.  For instance, now the argument begins as to what parts of scripture we must follow and what parts we do not.  There are several laws and teachings we frankly don't, and believe me, that's a good thing.

I'd not be to thrilled about stoning my children when they become disobedient.  Neither will I try to force any women who attend worship to cover their heads.  I live in a good German community, and I will not preach against the evils of eating blood sausage.  By the way, each of these things is admonished or condemned in Scripture.  A couple of them are New Testament teachings.

Of course, while separating the fly $h!t from pepper, insults start getting thrown.  There are those who decry some as playing fast and loose with Scripture.  They don't take the Bible seriously and pick and choose the parts of the Bible they want to follow.  This is usually followed by the retort that everyone picks and chooses, and "we/I worship the God revealed in Scripture and not Scripture itself."

The second part of this argument, I have decided I have a problem with.  "As if," I would reply.  "As if most folks don't actually worship the God revealed in the Bible and not the Bible itself.  However, there is a matter of the authority of Scripture."

I have begun to believe that those who use the second part of the above argument are presenting a "strawman" argument to keep from facing a very serious matter in Biblical interpretation and authority.  Why do I say such a thing?  Please let me explain.

First, I must ask, how do we come to know the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob?  How do we come to know Jesus Christ?

Answer: the Source, Scripture, the Bible.

So, without the Bible, we would not know Jesus?

Yes.

Therefore, the Bible must be True, and I use the capital intentionally.

Rebuttal: But it's written by humans.  It is flawed.

Answer: Yes, it is written by humans but inspired by God.  That inspiration must be True, or we don't truly come to know Jesus from the Word of Scripture.

Rebuttal: But the Holy Spirit is the one who brings us to belief.

Answer: Yes, agreed; the Spirit brings us to belief, but belief in what.  We are called to test the spirits.  How do we know the Spirit has brought us to the faith in Jesus Christ? 

Answer #2: Scripture gives us the norm of how God operates.  If it does not, then Scripture cannot be True.  If God is indeed revealed in the Bible's  pages through the writing of humans, Scripture must contain the Truth. 

In a very real way,  I am arguing for a very high respect of Biblical authority; a respect I find the initial argument lacking.

I have come to believe that many within the larger church have a problem with absolute Truth.  More and more, I think that influence has spread, and I'm not comfortable with it.  I think it's time for folks like myself to be more diligent in standing up and defending the Truth.  Perhaps this is a start.

No comments: