Monday, June 20, 2011

Question the Basic Assumptions

I remember well attending college and hearing professor after professor say, "Question everything you've been taught."

It was pretty solid advice; however, as time has passed, I have come to realize what these professors were actually saying was, "Question everything you've been taught, but don't question what I am teaching you now."

Honestly, I don't believe those of us who teach at any time really and truly want those we teach questioning the things we say.  I want folks to think I'm smart.  I want folks to think I'm intelligent.  I want folks to think I have got it all figured out.  If they'd only listen to me, then everything will work out.

I know in my saner moments those last two statement are insanity.  The first couple are still up for grabs. 

What I also have come to know is the difficulty of questioning everything, even the basic assumptions one takes for granted.

For instance, last week I became involved in a quite heated discussion in a clergy only group on Facebook.  We were discussing an aspect of clergy ministry which has almost become dogmatic in its application:

When a pastor leaves a congregation, he/she should not perform any sort of pastoral act what-so-ever. He/she needs to let the congregation know the new clergy is now the pastor.  You are no longer the pastor.

Some have even added a "Thou shalt not have any contact with anyone from a previous parish." clause as well.

Unintentionally, I found myself on the other side of the issue.  Because of my inability at the time to articulate clearly what I was trying to get across, I found myself questioning this basic assumption of how ministry is supposed to be done.  I found myself questioning something that I personally had adhered to when leaving my previous congregation and beginning in my new one.  After all, my professors in seminary drilled this command in my head as a boundary which should not be crossed.

But the more I found myself questioning the status quo, the more I found myself uncomfortable with what I had been taught.  The more I began thinking this hard and fast rule might actually be doing more damage than it is doing good.

Suddenly, it was literally as if a light bulb burst in my brain.  "So this is what it's really like to question everything," I thought. 

For this post, I will not go into the dirty details on my thoughts regarding this issue.  I'm going to save that for later.  I need to do some more work on it including consulting with a trusted advisor in such matters.  I need to get my thoughts organized and on paper as I continue wrestling with it.

What I can say right now is such questioning leads to some startling revelations about one's self.  At least they do for me. 

I particularly have to stop and ask myself, "What other basic assumptions do I hold onto that I have not diligently questioned?  What other beliefs do I hold about doing the job I am doing or parenting in the manner I parent which I have failed to put under scrutiny?"

At one in the same time, it is both liberating and frightening.

As it should be.

One could always find that one's foundation is shaky.

We'll see.

No comments: