Friday, April 13, 2012

Unlearn What You Have Learned

This Easter, my parents surprised us and decided to spend the holiday weekend with us.  We were thrilled.  Part of the drawbacks of being a pastor is that you don't get family holidays off.  I mean, it's possible to go up to your council or board of elders and say, "I'm going to take Christmas and Easter off this year."  It's possible, but I wouldn't recommend it.  You'd have to start looking for a new congregation pretty quickly.  :-)  Since I can't travel to see family on Christmas and Easter, it's wonderful when they come to stay with my wife, my kids, and me.

During our time together, my dad and I had a couple of conversations about science, mathematics and quantum physics.  Yeah, I know.  Not exactly most family's idea of Easter weekend conversations, but my dad taught these subjects for 30 years after graduating with a degree in petroleum engineering.  The guy loves math and science, and he managed to pass off a part of that to yours truly.

We were having a conversation about what it means to "touch" an object.  I was sharing how when you "touch" a table, you don't really touch it.  Rather, the forces that bind the atoms of your hand and the forces which bind the atoms of the table repel one another.  They never come into contact.

Dad had a little fun then and said, "And you know why there's a sound when it looks like you touch it?  Because the air between those forces gets pushed out like a balloon popping."

At this point of the conversation, my wife said something to the effect of, "I have a hard time getting my head around this stuff."

To which, my dad, being somewhat of a Star Wars fan reminded us of that wonderful saying by Jedi Master Yoda:


When dealing with the quantum world, you must "unlearn" much of what you have learned.  Things function quite differently at that level than they do in the higher levels.  You've got to truly re-think things and imagine a very, very different world.

In all honesty, this why I am drawn to further study of quantum mechanics as a person of faith.  Because in a very real way, faith requires us to "unlearn what we have learned"; to view the world differently; to realize that things function in a different way when it comes to God's level of working.

There are things we see with our eyes that God sees very differently.  For instance let's tackle the subject of miraculous healing.

For the longest time, I was extremely perplexed by Jesus' commentary in the Gospels when He said the following:

19Again, truly I tell you, if two of you agree on earth about anything you ask, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven.  --Matthew 18:19

and

If in my name you ask me for anything, I will do it. --John 14:14

Numerous times I have contemplated these texts when praying for someone who is suffering with some sort of debilitating illness--whether it is a congregation member with cancer or a child who has suffered brain trauma.  I have wondered why it seems like my prayers and the prayers of the members of the church I serve go unheeded--even though Jesus says they will be done.

And then one day something helped me "unlearn what I have learned."  The unlearning struck me so forcefully, I am now writing a book on the subject--understanding the concept of time through God's perspective.

For in God and with God there is no time.  God is eternal, which means God encapsulates the past, present, and future all at once.  In our limited capacity, we can't see this.  In fact, for many, it's too hard to even contemplate.  But none-the-less, it is true.

If God, then encapsulates the past, present, and future, then when we pray for the healing of someone, it is done.  From God's perspective, the person is healed.  We cannot see it because we still function within our reality of time. 

This may offer little comfort to those who suffer now or who are watching their children suffer.  I know such folks want to see that healing in our time frame not in God's.  I can appreciate such sentiments.  I would prefer that to happen as well.  Yet, I personally take great comfort in knowing the healing does take place even without my being able to see it.  I personally have faith that God hears, and God takes action.

Yes, we cannot see such a thing with our eyes, but we must trust God does. 

"You must unlearn what you have learned." 

No comments: