Thursday, April 28, 2011

When God Doesn't Seem to Listen

We are currently in the midst of a horrendous drought.

It's not just a mild one.

It's not just a severe one.

Even the National Weather Service has classified it as an extraordinary drought.

That folks, means it's a bad one.

For Texas, we're talking 1950's dry, and that ain't good.

I believe I have been leading my congregation in praying for rain each Sunday for at least seven months.  And...nothing.

I remember just two months ago.  The Saltgrass Trail Ride was taking its usual practice run on Saturday, and the wife and I took our kids out to watch it.  We crossed the closest thoroughfare and walked up to a few of the wagons and horses to give the kids a closer look.  When we did so, I saw one of my church members sitting in a wagon.

We struck up a conversation, and she introduced me to the wagon driver.  The weather was picture perfect for Texas.  Temps were in the 70's, a light north wind was blowing, and not a cloud was in the sky.

The driver looked at me (after discovering I was a pastor) and said, "Did you pray for us to have this kind of weather?"

I looked him straight in the eye and replied, "No sir, I did not.  I've been praying for rain for the past six months, and if it were up to me, you'd be riding in a storm.  However, the Good Lord just isn't listening to me."

Everyone laughed.

But it's getting to the point it's not funny anymore.

Ponds are drying up.

The grass, what little there is of it, is turning brown waaay too early.

It doesn't look like there will be much of a hay crop.

For those not connected with a rurual location, you need to know--this is a very bad deal for many within the community whose income is supplemented or depends upon raising crops or caring for cattle.

And so, we pray.

And pray.

And pray.

We look to the sky and at the weather forecast, and we hope.

And pray.

And pray some more.

The longer the drought lags on, and the less and less rain we receive brings up those tough questions: why isn't God listening?  And if He is listening, why isn't He answering?  Doesn't He promise to provide what we need?  We need, really need, rain.  Why isn't He sending it?

I do know, God isn't just some cosmic candy machine.  You can't just put a prayer in and wait at the bottom for the toy or candy or whatever to come out. 

I also know God answers prayer in three ways: Yes.  No. And wait.

I also believe God has His reasons for answering in the way He does.

But I sure wish He'd let us know why.

I sure wish He'd help us understand the length, breadth, width, and depth of this drought and His purpose behind it. 

He doesn't seem to be listening to my prayers at this time.  I just hope He isn't trying to say something to me/us that I/we are missing as well.

No comments: