Thursday, April 14, 2011

Lenten Midweek Sermon: Let the Same Mind...

Philippians 2: 5-11
5Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus, 6who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited, 7but emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness. And being found in human form, 8he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death— even death on a cross. 9Therefore God also highly exalted him and gave him the name that is above every name, 10so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Sermon Title: Let the Same Mind...
 
Whenever I sit down and visit with folks who would like to join our congregation, I tend to have a little bit of fun with them. I do so particularly when I talk about my responsibilities as a pastor and their responsibilities as a congregation member. The fun really starts when I talk about if these new members ever need any sort of pastoral care.

I usually say the following or something close to it, "If you ever are going to have surgery or are sick or need to talk to me, please give me a call. I am gifted in many ways, but I do not have the ability to read minds. I tried that for the first year or so in my marriage and failed miserably. I just wanted you to know that in case you expect me to be able to read yours."

This statement usually gets a hardy chuckle out of those I am meeting with as they realize they need to take an active part in this relationship between pastor and parishioner. As is the case in any relationship. When we enter into it, we must engage one another. One party cannot be aloof and fail to communicate with the other. Each person must be willing to open up and connect with the other. And even though this seems like common sense, rarely do we as people completely do such a thing.

Now, I know that statement probably raised a few eyebrows. Some of you maybe even recoiled a bit and thought to yourself, "That’s not true pastor. I am open. I am honest. I tell people the truth about myself and what I am going through without hesitation."

To this I respond, "Really? Then let me ask you this. The last time someone asked you, ‘How’s it going?’ did you answer with something more than the word, ‘fine’?" Odds are, you didn’t. And odds are, when you asked another person how he or she was doing, you really didn’t want to hear anything more than the word, "fine" in response. Why? Well, honestly, we don't want to let anyone know how we are truly feeling because we make ourselves vulnerable when we do so.  We have to expose ourselves to others, and we tend to be scared of how they might judge us.  It's safer to stay behind a wall.  Secondly, we don't really want to know how others are feeling because 1. if they are doing great, we get jealous, and we don't like that feeling.  2. If they are suffering or going through a hard time, we find ourselves empathizing with them and being drawn down ourselves.  Again, we dont' like that feeling, so we really hope someone just answers, "Fine." We like being safe and secure within ourselves, within our own thoughts, and within our own opinions. Anything that might challenge us must be pushed aside.

But contrast that with what Paul writes in our second lesson from the book of Philippians. Contrast our attitudes toward relationship with Jesus’ relationship with His heavenly Father. St. Paul writes: 5Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus, 6who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited, 7but emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness. And being found in human form, 8he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death— even death on a cross.
Hear this part again, carefully. He, Jesus, emptied himself, taking the form of a slave. Jesus willingly, let go and exposed all He was to His heavenly Father. Jesus emptied all of His own wants; all of His own desires; all of His nature and turned it over to God and God’s will. Jesus opened up and trusted God implicitly–even though it cost Jesus His life.

Remember that scene in the garden of Gesthemane? Remember when Jesus knelt and as He prayed giant drops of sweat fell to the ground as blood? Remember His agony as He faced the reality of what was going to happen to Him? Remember His anguish as He contemplated His betrayal, torture, and death by crucifixion? Remember how Jesus prayed, "Father if it is possible, please take this cup from me, yet not my will but thine be done." Do you remember all of that? Do you remember Jesus turning himself completely over to God–even unto death? Do you remember Jesus setting aside His power and authority to become powerless, stripped of all human dignity, and treated as a common criminal?

This is what Jesus did because He trusted God completely.

And St. Paul says, "Let the same mind be in you..."

How, Paul, how?

How can we empty ourselves and so be filled with the passion and desire to fulfill God’s will in this time and place? How can we forsake our desire for power, for control, for authority? How can we humble ourselves when everything in this world compels us to go in the opposite direction? How can we overcome our sinful nature to have the same mind that was in Christ Jesus?

Any ideas?

Do any of you here this evening even believe such a thing is possible?

Do any of you here this evening believe for a second you and I could even come close to having the same mind that was in Christ Jesus?

Do any of you here this evening think that you know the mind of Jesus Christ, and do you think you can act in the same manner He acted?

I know that I don’t even come close. I personally want to be right all the time. I want wealth. I want status. I want privilege. I want authority. I want power. I don’t want to grovel and serve and be humble. I don’t want to wash everyone’s feet; I want to have my feet washed.

But...that’s not having the same mind as Christ, is it? I need to learn His humility:

Teach Me Your Humility
Verse 1
Teach me your humility, in all I do and all I see
Lord, let me be a channel of your love.
Teach me your humility, when all that I can see is me,
When I forget that you are God.

Chorus:
When I think I’m above the strife, And forget my place in the midst of life
Break into my heart of stone, Give me love for you alone
Lord, teach me your humility. Lord, teach me your humility.

Verse 2
Teach me your humility, to remember what you’ve done for me
And how you shed your blood upon the cross.
Teach me your humility, and open up my eyes to see
how to live my life to honor you.
Chorus
Verse 3
Teach me your humility, to see my place in humanity
That I may live by your Word.
Teach me your humility that I may sit with the least of these
And then be exalted on high.
Chorus
May God teach us His humility that we may indeed have the same mind of Christ and empty ourselves to pursue and live God’s will. Amen.

No comments: