Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Reflections

Easter is a thrill every year.

As a pastor, this is THE moment you wait for--the chance to proclaim "CHRIST IS RISEN!"

It's THE proclamation of the Christian faith--the fulcrum on which hinges the entirety of what we believe and why. 

It's also, usually, a chance to preach to a packed house.  I really don't care what many of my colleagues say about having churches which are more faithful than full.  We want rear ends in the pews!  What good is proclaiming the Gospel if there is no one to proclaim it to?

Which brings me to a second point, most of us clergy dream about having congregations which grow beyond our expectations.  I haven't met a single pastor who has said, "It's my goal to shrink a church."  It just isn't there.  Pastors want to serve in churches that are living, active, growing, and reaching out with God's Word.

Which brings me to my third point.  Pastors cannot make this happen alone.  I don't care if we are the best preachers in the world.  I don't care if we have the best ideas in the world.  I don't care if we are the best administrators in the world.  A pastor doesn't make a church.  If a pastor and the congregation don't work as a team, nothing will happen.  For instance, a pastor might be an excellent preacher who puts together a great sermon week after week after week; yet, if the congregation members are not welcoming, do not greet people with intentional, meaningful, and real hospitality, or try to forge meaningful relationships, folks will not continue coming to congregations.

Congregations and pastors must work together to reach out with the Gospel and make a difference in their communities.  If these entities are not working as a team, forget about it.

I have been extremely blessed in the past seven years to work with a congregation who has wanted to make a difference in their community.  They have wanted to reach out with God's Word.  They have wanted people to feel a part of this family of faith. 

Sure, I know the skeptics out there will say, "You are just saying that because you are a pastor there.  You have rose colored glasses on."

Maybe.  But I intentionally ask all those who visit with us how they were treated.  Most of them are honest.  Nearly all have said they felt welcomed without reservation. 

And, I'm pretty sure they aren't telling me that because it's what I want to hear.  How do I know this?

When I first started serving this congregation, we had 185 members.  They were pumped and primed and ready to go.  And they did.  We began working together to make this congregation grow and thrive. 

It did, it has, and I am very hopeful it will continue.  It would not have if we weren't working together.

This Easter Sunday, in two services, we worshiped 366 people.  Speaking with several of the folks who are long term members, they said this is a record.  I believe it's meant to be broken.  We haven't reached our potential yet.

There's a lot happening, but I know the Spirit is moving.  I know He's leading us toward more things.  Sometimes I struggle to keep up, as I am sure the congregation feels the same at times. 

But, you know, I wouldn't change it.  I have truly grown to love this place and its people.  We will have more ups.  We will have some downs.  There will be times when the congregation questions why I am doing something in a particular way.  There will be times when I do the same to the congregation.  But this is the case in any relationship.  It's never perfect.  But I am willing to work hard to continue to earn their trust as their leader.  I'm perfectly aware I have clay feet, and they know I will admit my mistakes and ask for forgiveness.  Luckily, they are willing to offer it freely.

This is how we are called to live as Easter people.  I am extremely blessed, and I hope my folks feel the same way.

No comments: