Friday, April 29, 2011

Are "Birthers" Welcome?

This post is triggered by a recent discussion in an ELCA Clergy group on Facebook.

One of the posters asked how this Sunday's upcoming Gospel reading might be applied to the  "irrational and even racist" doubts over President Obama's birth certificate and addressing the issue.  For those who would like to read the Gospel text, please do so, otherwise, scroll down past the italics:

John 20: 19-29

19 When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, ‘Peace be with you.’ 20After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. 21Jesus said to them again, ‘Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.’ 22When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit. 23If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.’  24 But Thomas (who was called the Twin), one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. 25So the other disciples told him, ‘We have seen the Lord.’ But he said to them, ‘Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe.’ 26 A week later his disciples were again in the house, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them and said, ‘Peace be with you.’ 27Then he said to Thomas, ‘Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe.’ 28Thomas answered him, ‘My Lord and my God!’ 29Jesus said to him, ‘Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe.’

Of course, most folks talked about being prophetic, taking a stand against racism, or making fun of Donald Trump's hair. 

I took a different approach and asked, "Just for the fun of it, pretend a 'birther' comes to visit your congregation this Sunday and hears what you have to say. How have you represented God, Christ's earthly body: the Church, your congregation, etc. If that "birther" is a seeker who is looking to find a faith home, what would be the odds of that person feeling welcome in your congregation?"

Most ELCA clergy are squarely left to far left on the political spectrum in the U.S.  I intentionally asked this question knowing many of these same clergy often and forcefully speak about Jesus' "radical inclusiveness."  Most of these same clergy agree with the original comment that "birthers" are irrational and racist.  So, will such clergy offer words of welcome to those whom they vehemently disagree?

There are those who believe Thomas was being perfectly rational in the Gospel for this Sunday.  I would argue this is mostly the case.  People don't just spring up from the grave.  Although, Thomas probably should have known better.  He did see Jesus raise Lazarus.  He was there when Jesus raised the widow's son on the road to Nain.  He did hear Jesus say that He would rise again.  Further, Thomas had the witness of his closest friends and companions.  In the Jewish custom, if two eyewitnesses agree on something, it is generally considered to be true.  Yet, Thomas dismisses all such arguments.  One could argue on this basis that Thomas was being irrational.

Yet, how did Jesus handle Thomas?  Did Jesus call him names?  Did Jesus question Thomas' mental state? 

Read again for yourself.

No.

Jesus made no such commentary.  Instead, Jesus came to Thomas and revealed to him the truth.  Jesus took hold of Thomas' hand and placed it in the nail marks.  And it was only after revealing himself that he dared utter the words, "Do not doubt, but believe."

Contrast that with how this whole "birther" issue has been handled.  Do you or did you see action to quell this movement right away?  Rumors are best squashed early before they take a life of their own, and the best antidote is the truth.  Was such a thing done? 

No.  Instead, those whom it affected tried to laugh it off, call people crazy, etc. etc.

The God honest truth is there is nothing wrong with doubting.  Healthy doubt is...well, healthy.  My college professors tried to teach me to be open minded by questioning everything.  I was taught I shouldn't become absolutely certain about anything until I had spent quite a bit of time thinking, reflecting, and studying over it.  This included my theology professors.

Yep, went through an awful lot of doubt in what they taught and the things they offered up to us theology students.  Many things caused some deep, internal wrestling. 

But I've had a few Thomas moments.  I've had times when Jesus came and directly moved in my life.  I'll even dare to say, I've heard His voice speak to me.  (Ask me about the call I received to be a pastor when I was 18.)  Always, it was with compassion, with a sense of peace, and with a sense of empowerment to follow Him and remain convicted as His disciple.

I am acutely aware of this whenever I hear anyone say that such and such a group or such and such a person should not be welcomed in church.  I am also acutely aware of this when folks use labels or name calling when presenting an argument.  Such things are never helpful in conveying the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

For this reason, I have worked diligently in the past few years to proclaim a message: Christianity isn't about hanging out with people who are like you, look like you, and agree with everything you say.  Christianity is about sitting down with even those who you disagree with, sometimes on the most fundamental issues, and still be able to follow Jesus' command to love them.

I have stuck my neck out on several occasions in my congregation to convey this message, and I will continue to do so because I think it's how Jesus acted: radical inclusivity.  He wants everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE to be a part of the family of God--birther, 911 truther, homosexual, heterosexual, male, female, transvestite, liberal, conservative, independent, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian; you label it, God wants that person to find His life changing and life saving love in Jesus Christ. 

I believe in such a fashion, the Church sets itself up to be a truly counter-cultural place.  In the midst of a society driven by ideology and separation, the Church proclaims: set that crap aside and remember you are a Child of God!  All are indeed welcome!

No comments: