Monday, November 21, 2011

Time to Change it Up

I've written about my walking/running in this blog previously and how I have added running to help increase my metabolism and burn off that nasty bit of spare tire that clings with all its might to my midsection.  Things have been going very well.

Until now.

I've hit a roadblock.  Well, maybe not a road block per se.  But I have met my match when it comes to playing through the pain.  After several weeks of running, my sciatic nerve decided to flare up.  My wife even commented she could tell it was causing me grief in the way I was walking.  In previous years, such pains were quick to go away, but when the pain lasted over four days this time, I knew rest was much needed.

And a change in method.

I'm not going to stop my aerobic exercising.  Weightlifting and toning only get you so far.  To stay on task, I've got to keep doing something, and in this case, it means changing things up.

Looks like I'll be dusting off the exercycle I bought several years ago.  It's not my favorite form of exercise.  I don't like looking at the t.v. or four walls for an extended period of time, but it's my next best (see cheapest) option.

I'll give it a few weeks and see how walking/running goes again.  But, for the moment, it's necessary.

I have also learned that such change is good for one's prayer life and discipleship as well.  The same methods only take you so far in growth.  After practicing them for a time, staleness sets in.  Growth slows.  It's time to change it up.

Instead of meditating for 20 minutes, try study.

Instead of reading 20 minutes, try silence.

Instead of structured prayer time, be spontaneous.

Instead of speaking to God, try listening.

Change it up.

See what happens.

You might find it to be healing.

You might find it to be inspiring.

You might find it helpful once you return to that which you were doing habitually.

Who knows?

You won't until you try. 

No comments: