Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Taking a Moment to Boast

4I often boast about you; I have great pride in you; I am filled with consolation; I am overjoyed in all our affliction. 2 Corinthians 7:4

St. Paul penned those words about the congregation he started in Corinth.  If you read his letters to that congregation, you will see that at times he becomes frustrated with their actions, but he also indeed is very proud of them and boasts about them.  Whenever they hold up the values and principles of Christianity, he does not hesitate to tell them how much pride he has in them. 

The more I serve in this institution called the Church...

The more I serve the people of God...

The more I come to understand Paul.

I have an excessive amount of pride in my congregation at this moment. 

It has been a year of much devastation for many in this area.  Severe drought has effected nearly everyone who owns land around our area.  When you are a country church and surrounded by people who own cattle, horses, and other livestock, and they are dependent upon rain and cannot afford high hay prices, extended drought is devastating.  On top of the drought, the state has suffered massive wildfires which have destroyed whole communities.  Not 10 miles from my church, 11 families had their homes destroyed by one such fire, and each community is still in the process of evaluating and cleaning up before even beginning the rebuilding process.

On top of these area-wide instances, I've had to deal with some very serious health issues and situations with members.  In a span of a month, three people had open heart surgery, and all suffered complications of one form or another.  One of those who had open heart surgery had a massive stroke and may never fully recover.  Another family's 12 year old daughter, who was already suffering with some health issues suffered a heart attack, was dead for 40 minutes before being revived, suffered massive brain damage, and is still recovering from it. 

Add to such things, the regular, ins and outs and emotional "disturbances" that take place in congregations, it has been one trying year for me. 

But, I must say, watching my congregation take action has been nothing short of amazing.  This group of people, while not perfect, exhibits a compassion, a willingness to help, and a desire to make a difference that truly astounds me.  They open their hearts and their wallets to make things happen and aid people in dire circumstances.

Immediately as the wildfires raged around us, clothing and other such items poured in.  Within a weeks time, folks donated two full sized SUVs and one Lincoln Town Car trunk full of clothing and necessities.  Over $1,000 also came in spontaneous donations to wildfire relief, and then the icing on the cake took place this past Sunday.

We have been extremely blessed as a congregation this year.  With so many churches struggling financially, our little church was $17,000 IN THE BLACK!!!  And what did our church decide to do with a chunk of that change?  They decided to GIVE $10,000 to aid those whose homes were destroyed by fire.  It was far and above my own expectations of what to give.  I had tears in my eyes when they voted to do this.  They were tears of pride and joy as I watched these people who God has called me to lead, relinquish one heck of a chunk of change to help people rebuild their lives.

Oh, it was awesome.  But I had so much more to boast about.  So much more.  On the same day these folks made this vote, we held a fundraiser for that 12 year old little girl I spoke of earlier.  As I watched this thing come together, I marveled once again as people gave of their time and talent and treasure to help out.  One of my members who owns the local tavern procured and donated the potatoes.  Her husband and a group of guys bar-b-qued brisket all day Saturday for those 'taters.  Several families jumped in and took those 'taters home and baked them for Sunday.  A whole host of them showed up on Sunday morning to work in the kitchen, putting the 'taters together and making sure everyone who bought them received them.  So many people came together to make this thing happen--all to show the love of God to a family going through a rough time.  My pride swelled.  Not in myself, but in this group of people who so willingly give--who each face issues and troubles in their own lives, but who still seek something greater as they help others.

What more can a pastor ask for? 

Unfortunately, later that afternoon, I received some bad news.  One of my member's daughter-in-law miscarried at 14 weeks.  Devastating news.  But even in the midst of that event, she shared with me this:

After you and I talked today, I sat and reflected on our congregation.  We have people who are fighting against cancer, are battling serious heath issues, are unemployed, or have lost a lot because of the drought but these same people came together today to help people who have lost everything.  It's truly humbling to worship with people who care so much about others. I wasn't sure about mentioning the miscarriage but now that I've had time to reflect, I think it would be appropriate.  Our Cat Spring family is very special to us and I know that their prayers will help ease our sorrow.

Even as I grieve with this family, my pride grows.  This woman has come to see the church as a place where she can reveal her deep hurt and sorrow and know she can receive comfort and support from those who care. 

I am proud to serve this church.  I boast in what they do for they truly capture and promote the Spirit of God in such moments, and I hope they always will. 

No comments: