Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Reading the Sign

A couple of my Facebook friends posted a picture with a person holding a sign which reads:

This is your life.  Do what you love and do it often.  If you don't like something, change it.  If you don't like your job, quit.  If you don't have enough time, stop watching t.v.  If you are looking for the love of your life, stop; they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love.  Stop over analyzing, life is simple.  All emotions are beautiful.  When you eat, appreciate every last bite.  Open your mind, arms, and heart to new things and people, we are united in our differences.  Ask the next person you see what their passion is, and share your inspiring dream with them.  Travel often; getting lost will help you find yourself.  Some opportunities only come once, seize them.  Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them so go out and start creating.  Life is short.  Live your dream and share your passion.
The link on the deal is to the Progressive Christian Alliance:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150260852120749&set=a.267471175748.143363.148795295748&type=1&theater

At a cursory glance, who would argue with such thoughts?  Don't they seem so spiritual, so understanding, so...truthful? 

Let's break it down.

This is your life. 

Really?  Honestly?  My life?  Is it really my own to do with as I please?  Well, perhaps it is my life if I am not a follower of Jesus Christ.  But, if I am a disciple, then this life is not my own.  It does not belong to me.  I am a servant.  My life belongs to Christ. 

19For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ; 20and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. --Galatians 2:19-20

Do what you love and do it often.

Sure.  What if I love getting money, and it matters not to me how I get it?  What if I love having sexual relations with a person who is not my spouse?  What if I love gossipping about my neighbor?  Good advice.  I love to sin.  God loves to forgive.  I should sin more so that God can forgive more.  Right.

Since therefore Christ suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same intention (for whoever has suffered in the flesh has finished with sin), 2so as to live for the rest of your earthly life no longer by human desires but by the will of God. --1 Peter 4:1-2

If you don't like something, change it.

I don't like the way my neighbor dresses.  Don't like being 6'2" want to be 6'4".  Don't like so many people being out of work.  Any suggestions?

If you don't like your job, quit.

Good advice.  I'm sure it is infinitely easy to find another one in this day and age.

If you don't have enough time, stop watching t.v.

Can't argue with this one; although I don't spend much time watching t.v.  My kids take up quite a bit of time.  Can I stop watching them?

Let's skip down a bit:

Travel often; getting lost will help you find yourself.

No need to do much except for this quote:

 "Those who try to make their life secure will lose it, but those who lose their life will keep it."--Luke 17:33

So, how will you really find yourself?

Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them so go out and start creating.

For we are what he has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life.  --Ephesians 2:10

What is life really about? 

How about seeking and doing the will of God and not one's self?

Maybe they would like to rework their sign.

No comments: