Monday, May 9, 2011

Time Does Not Exist

Mind blowing thought, huh?

Well, not really...at least in the big scope of things.

Let me explain.

This past Sunday, my adult Bible Study was working through Luther's Small Catechism.  We were dealing with the seventh commandment.  For a refresher, that one is "Thou shalt not steal."

One of the participants raised a very interesting point when she spoke about "stealing time" from an employer, etc.  For example, when you goof off at work, you are stealing time. 

Knowing I have a heat exchange engineer who keeps abreast of all the latest scientific studies and such I decided to have a moment of fun.

"You know, if you really think about it, time doesn't exist," I said.

That raised a few eyebrows and caused a smirk on the engineer's face.

He knew what I was up to, but he also knew I would approach it theologically while he would approach the issue scientifically.  (If you'd like to see what some scientists are talking about regarding the existence of time, I'd invite you to Google it.  We already know that time is a variable according to Einstein's theory of special relativity.  Some scientists are taking it further.)

I continued, "If we think of all things happening in God's time, time as we know it doesn't exist."

More pause.

I continued, "God is eternal.  He has no beginning and no end.  There is no such thing as time in such a state."

Then, they got it.

I wonder what it would be like if we decided to live under such an ideal?

What would we do if that whole adage "time is money" was proven to be false?

What if time isn't as precious as we think--at least in terms of straining and stressing to accomplish as much as we possibly can in a short period?

What if, as people who are guaranteed eternal life, we believe we actually have all the time in the world to accomplish the things we need to accomplish?

How would that affect our stress levels?

How would that impact the choices we make?

How would that impact our worldview?

What if time really doesn't exist?

What if God's time is the only time?

No comments: