Friday, May 6, 2011

Entering a Dry Spell?

I'm wrestling with something within me right now, and I'm not sure what it is.

Easter Sunday was a huge blessing.  I never expected seeing what I saw in my congregation that morning.  The Spirit's movement in the life of this church has been nothing short of amazing in the seven years that I have been here.  And even though we are in a slight transition as we seek a new director of music, I'm sensing things are primed and ready to head to the next level.  It's exciting to be a part of such a thing.

Yet...

Since Easter, I've seemed to be running in low gear.  I feel sort of worn out; weary even though I've got plenty of energy to get things done.

Don't know if it's the post-Easter let down or if it's something else.

Never had it before.

First time in 10 years of ordained ministry.

Am somewhat wondering if I'm entering a dry spell or if God's got something up His sleeve for me.

Now before any of my congregation members read this and start freaking thinking I might be looking for another call, let me put that to rest quickly.  Not a chance.  I've said before as long as the congregation and I are getting along, I intend to stay.  I have no desire to pull up roots and leave.

But something is gnawing at my gut.

I even mentioned to a guy in a continuing education class that I was half-way interested in getting a Doctorate of Ministry.  Not that I really want to put myself through classes and the financial burden of doing such a thing, but I was trying to see if that was where the gnawing in my gut was leading.

I received a packet from the Seminary offering the DMin.  Still haven't opened it.  Not excited about it.  That should be a sign.

This week, a member of the community came to visit me and essentially asked me to serve as a Spiritual Director.  This is something I have felt called to in the past, and I told him I would be happy to serve in such a capacity.  However, I also told him there was one caveat--I needed to find a Spiritual Director as well.  I've begun that process, so I wonder if that will help.

It's been a long while since I've had a Spiritual Director.  Such folks are gifted in helping you discover what God is up to in your life.  They ask pointed questions to get you to see things you might be missing.

I'm hoping it will help.  Dry spells aren't much fun.  They're full of struggle.  They can be very helpful in the long run, but...

We'll see.

No comments: