Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Bless You!

It was totally unscripted--a very spontaneous moment in worship.

I was reading the Gospel lesson from behind the pulpit, and as I approached the end of the text, I felt a sneeze coming on.  I tried to speed up a little so that I could finish the text before it hit, but it wasn't happening.  Just before I was about to start the last sentence of the text: ACHOOOOO!!!!

Without a moment of hesitation, 90% of those in attendance said, "Bless you!"

"Thank you!" I responded.  "That was pretty good."

More than a few chuckles happened, and I paused.  

"I'm sorry," I said.  "This event just reminded me of a story about an old timey comedienne.  I wish I could remember his name.  Red.... (It was Skelton, but my brain wasn't quite there.)  Oh well.  Anyway, the guy said he had a dream that he went to heaven and was standing before God.  God sneezed, and the comedienne said, 'I didn't know what to say.'"

[Insert 5 second pause.]

Raucous laughter!!!

Me: Thank you for knowing what to say.

With that, I finished the last sentence of the Gospel lesson.  Humor. Blessings.  Lightheartedness.  And in my estimation: holiness.

May God bless you.!

No comments: