Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sometimes, I Guess You Can Believe...

...what you read on the internet.

Hopefully, this blog included. ;-)

About a month ago, I was scrolling through the news on Yahoo!, and I came across an article titled, "Burn 300 Calories in 15 Minutes."  It peaked my attention.

This winter has been a bit weird, and I haven't been able to settle into a definite pattern of walking and exercise.  Since I lost 40 lbs, I've maintained very well and have lost my motivation to tackle cold weather walks.  The exercise bike is kind of monotonous.  Bought a punching bag and have enjoyed it, but my arms do get quite tired.  So, seeing I could burn 300 calories in 15 minutes made me click on the link.

I do believe our bodies are gifts from God, and it does behoove us to take care of them.  I also believe God gave us a brain in those bodies to judge things wisely.  When I clicked on the link, I became skeptical.  The trainer was writing about several exercises one can do with a "kettleball." 

I'd never heard of those dang things before, so I went and talked to the exercise guru: my wife.  She's been renting videos by mail from Blockbuster, including quite a few exercise videos.  She told me all about the "kettleball" and how it was a pretty interesting exercise phenomena.  She also indicated that she wanted to try it.

I'm pretty conservative when it comes to spending money, and even though I thought I might like to try and put the Yahoo! article to the test, I wasn't exactly sure I wanted to depart from some hard earned cash.

That's when I received a belated Christmas gift.  A church member sent my family and I a $100 check and invited us to splurge.  I bought a "kettleball."  Stopped at Academy yesterday on the way back from visiting a member who just got out of the hospital, and bought one of those adjustable ones.

After the kids went to bed last night, I printed off the article so that I could read and implement the exercises.  15 minutes later, I was sucking air.  I mean it.  I hadn't breathed that hard in a long time.  Even walking 65 miles in three days didn't cause me to breathe that hard.

300 calories in 15 minutes.

I believe it.

Hope it actually helps me maintain weight and tone up.

We'll see about that one.

No comments: