Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Things I've Learned in the Past Year

One more year old today.  38 years on this planet.  Just about 1/2 of my life expectancy.  Last year, I spoke of the things I learned in my lifetime.  Today, I'm going to reflect upon the things I've learned in the past year.

1. The Truth definitely exists, although it's awful hard to see it with perfect clarity.

2. It matters how you think of God when you pray.

3. Kids restrict you in what you do.

4. But I wouldn't trade them for the world.

5. Dogs restrict you too.

6.  See number 4.

7.  Taking an anniversary cruise is definitely worth it--for your relationship, for your stress levels, and for your perspective about life.  The dollars expended matter little.

8.  Grandparents are tremendous when doing number 7.

9.  Reading a few right books is more important than reading a bunch of wrong ones.

10. Droughts in Texas can really suck.

11.  Getting a little bit of rain in the middle of a drought is a joyous occasion.

12.  Lutherans and Catholics can pray for rain together.

13. I missed deer hunting.

14. Deer blinds are great places for thinking, reflecting upon life, and getting away from screaming kids.

15. A wife who lets you do number 14 is worth her weight in gold.

16. Driving through a place that has been damaged by wildfire is extremely humbling.

17.  "Malcolm effects" are real.

18.  God gives strength to get through Malcolm effects.

19.  My congregation is really cool.  (I knew this, but it's affirmed time and again.)

20.  I've still got a lot to learn.

No comments: