Friday, July 15, 2011

Challenging the Prevailing Wisdom: Teamwork

I wrote a couple weeks ago about challenging basic assumptions and the need to take some time to do so from time to time.  For some reason, I was led to challenge one of those basic assumptions that is generally regarded as the prevailing wisdom of today.

Since I have been studying for and practicing in the ordained ministry, I have heard a recurring mantra and theme: we can do more together than we can alone.  There's even been a rather cute anagram made to fit this theme: Together Everyone Achieves More.  You got it: TEAM. 

Now, don't misunderstand where I am headed.  There is no doubt that together we can indeed raise more money to fight hunger and poverty when we join together.  There is no doubt we need teamwork when running organizations.  When they become large enough, teamwork is essential to their success.  The larger the "problem" to be addressed, the more we need a team.

But, I wonder if "together everyone achieves more" really and truly works for all things?

If that were so, what results have that brought the church (particularly the ELCA) in the past couple of decades?

Let's narrow down the question a little more: has an emphais on the TEAM concept led to more congregations reaching folks with the Gospel?  Has an emphasis on the TEAM concept led our congregations to grow and thrive?  Has an emphasis on the TEAM concept empowered our congregations to be mission outposts which are centers of generosity within their communities where "budgets" are met consistently and survival mode is a bad memory?

I'm going to take a momentary break to start fortifying a room so that I won't get hit by the stuff being thrown at me.

Is there a direct correllation between the focus on TEAM and the decline of our churches?  Perhaps not, but I cannot help but realize that in the 18 years of engaging this concept, I haven't seen a difference being made in the larger scope of evangelism in the ELCA.

I'd like to stop right here and just leave the criticism, but that offers little in the way of solutions to help reverse a dispicable trend.  And if one is not willing to offer solutions, then forget it.

I personally believe individuals must be equipped to do evangelism.  Individuals carry the brunt of responsibility when it comes to being witnesses in the world around us.  If they are not equipped to share faith stories, invite others to church, live with a marked difference in their lives, see God in action outside the church, and notice those kairotic moments when others want to engage them in "faith talk," then our congregations will continue to flounder.

If our congregations are not engaged in preaching the Gospel and making it relevant to peoples' daily lives--not in a partisan political way as many of our churches seem to do; if they are not welcoming and hospitable; if they do not seek to make a difference in the local and global community; then our congregations will continue to flounder. 

In what ways is church leadership trying to equip our people and congregations to engage in such things? 

I personally strive to do a couple of things: 1. I regularly announce 95% of a congregation's ministry is done outside the four walls of the church.  2. I try to make sure every sermon has some nugget folks can take home with them to discuss that is applicable to their daily lives.  3. I try to equip folks to watch for those moments with family and friends that beg for an invitation to be extended to come to church.  4. I intentionally invited folks to extend a welcome to each person in worship on a given Sunday.  5.  I strive to model such behavior myself in hopes that someone is actually watching what I do.  6. I refrain from announcing my political views and intentionally allow others to come to their own conclusions based upon the faith they experience.  7.  I engage people in the community in the context of their daily lives to see their struggles and joys.  When I get the chance, I am always open to discuss any topic that folks want to engage in.  8. I regularly admit that I have clay feet and am not the resident theological expert.  I admit that others have theological/philosophical insights and invite them to share them with me without my condeming their insights or saying, "Well, this is what scholars think..."

Those are a few of the things that I do.  It involves a modicum of teamwork, but it puts responsiblity on individuals.

No comments: