Monday, February 7, 2011

Yes, Those are Blue Jeans and Boots

I honestly don't know how clergy run out of sermon material and illustrations.  If one has "eyes to see", there is stuff happening right and left in the daily walk of life that screams of God's activity.  There is stuff that begs for theological reflection.  In my next several posts, I will reflect and recount a number of activities which took place on Super Bowl Sunday inside my congregation and out.  Beginning with an innocent conversation immediately following worship.

Usually, it's not to difficult for me to pick out visitors to our congregation on any given Sunday.  I know my church members pretty well, but in a church that has grown as rapidly as St. John, the members themselves struggle with who is and who isn't a member at times.

That wasn't the case on Sunday with one couple who worshiped with us.  Strange as it may seem, they stuck out because they were (ahem!) over-dressed. 

I know that statement might seem a head scratcher for those who have not worshiped where I serve.  In many, many congregations both big and small, the expectation is one wears one's "Sunday best" to go to church.  In some congregations, one's clothing is a sign of status.  Even just to fit in, one must dress in either a three piece suit and tie or a designer dress or pants suit complete with make up and accessories.

Now, don't get me wrong at this point.  For those who believe they are coming in their best to present their best before their Creator, I have no issues.  By all means, present yourself to Him as you see fit.  I'm not going to stop you.

But such a thing is pretty rare in the congregation I serve.  Our philosophy is much more, come as you are.

Want to wear a three piece suit?  Go ahead, but most folks don't.

Want to wear blue jeans and boots?  By all means.  That's what the pastor's got on beneath that robe.

Shorts in the summer?  Been done.

Sun dress?  Yep.

Casual, business casual, t-shirt and jeans?  Yep, yep, and yep.

Boots with residue from walking through the pasture or cow pen?  Seen it.

Even tennis shoes?  Will go you one further since my kids wear their "Crocs" to church on any given warm Sunday.

This is the nature of St. John.  We are a laid back, friendly congregation.  We don't put on airs, and we don't judge a person by his or her clothes.  We simply aren't interested in that at all.  We're more interested in you as a person.

On any given Sunday, you will have a couple of multi-millionaires sitting next to folks who work pay check to pay check in those pews, and you cannot tell the difference between them. 

It's really a neat place to worship in that regard. 

Which brings me to that couple that worshiped with us on Sunday.  I had the privilege of visiting with them extensively after worship.  It was a very pleasant conversation.  They were overwhelmed by the genuine hospitality of the church.  They loved the laid back atmosphere.  I'd argue, however that they felt a little out of place since they were dressed very much to the nines.  In their own way, they even apologized for coming out so dressed up.  (There was no need for that, and I think they knew it.)  But they were astounded at how this church not only said, "It didn't matter how one dressed to come to worship.", but it also practiced it.

I pointed down at my blue jeans and boots and said, "God doesn't worry about what you wear to church.  He just wants you there."

They agreed.  And they excitedly promised, they'd be back.

And I'm pretty sure that next time, they'll be in jeans and boots as well.

No comments: