Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Day

Don't look for a bouquet of roses that will wither away.
Don't look for chocolates--empty calories.
Don't look for lingere, it's a self-serving gift.
Don't look for a sappy card just because Hallmark says it's needed.
Don't look for jewelry.  It's just expensive rock.
Don't look for a new car as if that's really a sign someone loves you.
Don't look for a nice, romantic dinner at an exclusive restaurant.  It's a school night, and we've got to get the kids in bed in time.

Instead, look for me to help get the kids ready for school early in the morning.
Look for me heading off to work to make enough to ensure you don't have to find a money-making job because I know raising kids is a full time job in and of itself.
Look for me taking off from work at lunch and having the youngster's lunches ready to roll when you bring them home from preschool.
Look for me struggling to put together a dinner that will suit the taste of five different taste buds.
Look for me helping to occupy the kids' time before bed--keeping them from harming one another when getting too bored.
Look for me herding them toward the bathroom to brush teeth before bed saving you from ears that don't like to listen to Mommy.
Look for me helping them get dressed for bed.
Look for me fulfilling my duties as head of the household in leading everyone in bedtime prayer.
Look for me spending precious moments just before sleep takes hold, cuddling and talking to the little ones so they know Daddy's near.
Look for me ready to wrap my arms around you and holding you tightly at the end of the day, allowing the endorphins of our embrace to filter through the stress of dealing with kids most of the day and relax you as you fall asleep in my arms.
Look for my gentle kiss and whisper of, "Good night.  I love you, hon." as deep sleep takes hold and you rest easy knowing I'm there to watch over you and protect you and the children.
Look for these everyday things I do because they are filled with much more love than all the garbage the retailers make out to be so important on this day.

If you ever wondered why I never get you a Valentine's Day gift, now, you hopefully can see.
I believe in more substantial things.
Real life acts of service and kindness.
Each day.
Every day.
Without exception.
Without fail.
They are yours. 
Until death do us part.

No comments: