Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Life Changing Moment

Blissfully, I was spared watching the Super Bowl half-time show.  I'm personally not a big Black Eyed Peas fan (the musical group, that is), and from what I heard, I didn't miss much.  At all.

What I did experience was far more meaningful and somewhat troubling.

I stepped outside when the half time show started because I wanted to try and take a picture of the Crossroads Tavern sign at night. 

I walked outside, and shortly thereafter, a young man came out to smoke a cigarette.  For the purposes of this posting, I'll call him John--not his real name.

John recognized me as the pastor of St. John here in Cat Spring, and he asked just to make sure.

"That's what some people call me," I replied.

John and I then began a rather interesting conversation which led him to tell me about a very recent experience that (hopefully) was very life changing for him.

John works for an electrical company, and after a couple of very hard days work, he did what many do to unwind.  He decided to have a few beers.  Unfortunately, he drank way to many.  A 12 pack to be exact.  For those who are not familiar with the affects of little sleep and too much alcohol, well, let's just say, it's a bad combination.

John ended up falling asleep at the wheel that evening and running his brand new truck into the back of an 18 wheeler.  John was very, very fortunate.  He walked away from the accident with only a scratch from the air bag.  The truck didn't stop.  No law enforcement was called.  John didn't even get a DWI.  Lucky guy.

He said point blank, "I never had any problems drinking and driving before.  I got lucky."

I said, "It will certainly make you re-think a few things."

John readily agreed.

There was a part of me that wanted to look this guy right in the eye and say, "Don't be an idiot again."  But I didn't.  I was much more civil.  Much more diplomatic.  I said something to the effect of, "Looks like you have a choice of not working as much or drinking much less."

He responded, "Or not even driving.  I didn't drive tonight, and someone else is taking me home."

Smart man.

Unfortunately, it took a very close call to change his life.

Why is it that this seems to be the case for many of us?  Why is it that we go along almost in a trance until something comes along to "wake us up?"  Why does it take something happening where we might lose our life to make us appreciate the beauty of living in this time and place?

Jesus said, "I came that they might have life and have it abundantly."

How many of us really believe this?  And how many of us will continue to go through the motions?  I hope John's life changing moment really helps him become a better person.  I hope it helps his walk of faith (he revealed to me he is a Christian).  I hope it makes him think and appreciate what he has.

And I hope the rest of us will wake to this reality without having to have such a life changing moment.

No comments: