Thursday, August 29, 2013

Why Does it Matter?

It was a strange bit of conversation that I had on an internet message board.

A woman started a thread about the creation story in Genesis chapter 2.

She wondered how it was that people could believe the story and the idea that death was a consequence of something called the Fall.

Of course, I gave the standard, orthodox, Christian answers.

Then, she went all philosophical on my post blatantly undermining many of the points I made.

Well, two can actually play that sort of "game" so I answered philosophically in my own right undermining her points.

That actually led her to be a little less bombastic and show some humility--which was appreciated.

But then she said, "The Bible has no authority for me..."

O.K.  That's an important point right there.  A very important point.

And so I asked, "If the Bible has no authority for you, then why even bother with the question?  Why even worry about it?  What does it matter?"

For it is one thing as a Christian to proclaim God's Word to others.  We have an explicit command from Jesus to go into the world to teach everyone all that Jesus said and did and to baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  The Bible has authority as it reveals to us the nature and person of God revealed as Father, Son and Holy Spirit. 

If the Bible has no authority for you...

And if you do not believe in the God of the Bible...

And if you do not adhere to the belief Jesus is resurrected from the dead...

Then why even bother trying to figure out the beliefs of Christianity?

Why seek explanation to something you refuse to believe in the first place?

What does it matter, and what is one trying to accomplish?

It is a matter of curiosity from my perspective.

No comments: