Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Rendering Judgement

I would like to revisit a portion of my blog from yesterday, particularly the topic of judgement.  Rereading St. Paul's admonition from the book of 1 Corinthians, I think is pretty informative and extremely important in how the church relates to society these days.  Please look at it again:

9 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral persons— 10not at all meaning the immoral of this world, or the greedy and robbers, or idolaters, since you would then need to go out of the world. 11But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother or sister who is sexually immoral or greedy, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or robber. Do not even eat with such a one. 12For what have I to do with judging those outside? Is it not those who are inside that you are to judge? 13God will judge those outside. ‘Drive out the wicked person from among you.’  --1 Corinthians 5:9-13

Paul makes a very definite distinction when it comes to rendering judgement upon others.

"I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral persons--not at all meaning the immoral of this world, or the greedy and robbers, or idolaters, since you would then need to go out of the world."

Paul here makes it clear that Christians are not to remove themselves from the world.  They are not supposed to keep themselves ritually or ethically pure by refusing to interact with those who are immoral.  Indeed, we as Christians are actually called to go into the world and seek out those who are living immoral lives and bring the good news of Jesus Christ to them.  But there is a method we are called to use in engaging such folks, and please forgive me while I snip some of Paul's comments and reconstruct them.  I do not think I am changing their meaning, but I am striving to flesh out Paul's argument.

Paul is very clear that while associating with such folks, we are not in a position to render judgement upon them.  "For what have I to do with judging those outside? ...God will judge those outside."  For those who are not a part of the church, we cannot render judgement upon them.  Of course, we can render the judgement that we see their machinations as contrary to our own belief and value system.  We can call them immoral according to the commands and Laws of God/Christ.  We can refuse to participate in such behavior ourselves, and in some cases, we can and should protest certain behaviors when they are abusive, violent, and demeaning.  But, aside from those circumstances, Christians are called to keep their judgements to themselves.  It is not kosher to speak the following to a non-believer, "If you don't stop behaving in that manner, you will go to hell."

Such "evangelistic" methods will not bring anyone to Christ in this day and age.  In fact, it will usually have quite the opposite effect.  It will make you, and Christianity, seem harsh, uncaring, and self-righteous.  Ixnay on the judgements of those outside the church and who are not actively in a relationship with Jesus Christ.

Ah, but what about judging from within the Church?

Again, St. Paul is quite clear.  "But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother or sister who is sexually immoral or greedy, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or robber. Do not even eat with such a one... ‘Drive out the wicked person from among you.’"

There is a clear line of demarcation here.  If you are outside the bounds of the church, we shall not render judgement upon you, but if you are a part of the body of Christ...and you do not act accordingly...and you are being immoral...then judgement is necessary.

Paul lifts up the difference here between cheap grace and costly grace.  Cheap grace has no impact on me and the way I live my life.  Costly grace means I am changed and transformed (sanctification), and the way I live seeks to glorify God by following God's commands.  If I step out of those commands and live my life in a way that does not bring God glory, then there is a community of faith commissioned with bringing me back into line and calling me to repent.  They/We are justified in doing so, and it is quite necessary.

Of course, whenever this is done, there are those who readily say, "Take the log out of your own eye before trying to remove the speck in mine."

Granted.  Jesus was very clear in his instruction regarding such matters; however, He also commissioned a process of judgement which is not based solely at the discretion of any one individual.  It is intimately tied to a local community of faith--the church (Matthew 18).  Therefore, witch hunts driven by the ego of one individual aren't allowed.  Rendering judgement is necessary and is to be carried out by and on those within the Christian faith--not on those who are outside it.

No comments: