Friday, April 12, 2013

Absolute Truth: Your Choice

A couple of days ago, I watched a debate on Youtube between the late Christopher Hitchens and John Lennox.

I was intrigued by one of the questions Hitchens asked Lennox in the Q and A session toward the end.  "Can you give a statement of absolute Truth?" Hitchens asked.

Lennox replied with a statement which he believed was absolute Truth.  Hitchens argued the statement was not absolutely true.

I gave the question some thought myself, and I think I have come up with a choice of two statements.  One of these is absolute Truth.  I'll leave it up to you to decide:

Truth exists.

Truth does not exist.

Take your pick.  One of those is Absolute Truth.  My suggestion: choose wisely.

(No weaseling.  It is not allowable to say "Truth is relative."  That is an untenable position since the statement "truth is relative" rests upon the truth of the statement "truth is relative".  It is a self-defeating statement.)

No comments: