Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The End Times

Just finished my sermon for this Sunday.

It's based upon Mark 13:1-8: the beginning of "The Little Apocalypse" or Jesus' teaching of the end times. 

No, I'm not going to lay out in today's posting what I will preach this Sunday.  I'm going to ask a poignant question--one I didn't raise in my sermon for Sunday because it's a very, very heady one.

Here is a proclamation about our faith: God is eternal.  This means, God is beyond time.  It also means God has no past, no present, and no future.  God encapsulates all three of these tenses at once. 

Now, here's the fun part: Since God encapsulates the past, present, AND future, has the end times already occurred from God's perspective?  And if it already has AND we are called to strive and see things from God's perspective, why in the world do some people worry so much about said end times?  God's already got it taken care of.  It's already done, isn't it?

No comments: