Thursday, August 2, 2012

Through Burnout and Back: It's Not About the Pie

Weird title, I know.  Let me explain.

As I have worked through the ordeal of burnout, I have made as one of my priorities reaching out to the unchurched, de-churched, and non-believers.  Even though being a pastor is certainly not about emotional gratification and self-satisfaction, I have found myself most satisfied and elated when engaging unchurched folks and helping to proclaim God's Word to them. 

Some of the highlights of my career thus far are seeing folks who left the church come back and become involved in the life of a congregation.  Other highlights include baptizing adults who make public professions of their faith later in life.  Knowing God has worked through you and with you to help another person come to faith is humbling and thrilling all at the same time.

For some reason, I have noticed this happening less the longer I have been in my current congregation.  I don't know why.  I'm sure there are several possibilities, but as I have looked back, I found a hunger to be engaging such folks that was not being satisfied. 

Therefore, I decided to change how I spent some of my work time.  I was heading out to engage.  Taking Bill Hybels as an example, I decided to spend time reading in a restaurant on a regular basis hoping to meet and visit with folks given the opportunity.

This isn't so easy in a small town like Cat Spring.  There's one major hang out where folks gather, but I know everyone down there.  I needed a different venue where I'd run into fewer people I knew and the possibilities of engaging complete strangers was a possibility.

I decided on Tony's Restaurant in Sealy.  It's a cafe about a quarter mile off of Interstate 10.  It's probably the busiest place in town as far as things are concerned.  There are people in and out of that place throughout the day.  There's plenty of seating so that I could stay for an extended period of time without costing a waitress too many tips.  It would work just fine.

The next step would be a little harder.  I'm not one who particularly enjoys wearing my clerical collar.  Too often, I've found it to be a boundary folks aren't willing to cross instead of an invitation to engagement.  Yet, I also knew if folks just saw a guy reading a book, they weren't going to pay much attention to such a thing.  Time to put on the collar.

My first foray into this experiment took place a couple of weeks ago.  I did get a few looks as I came into the restaurant.  I ordered a piece of pie.  I read.  I drank iced tea.  I spent a couple of hours, and the only folks I really had contact with were the waitresses.  Nothing earth shattering.  That's o.k.  I expect there will be days like that.

This afternoon will be another excursion.  I'll order another piece of pie.  I'll drink some iced tea.  Maybe I'll get a chance to visit with someone.  Maybe I won't.  Doesn't matter.  I'm beginning to make the effort.  In due time, I'm going to get a little message board to put on my table that says, "Interruptions Welcome."  Maybe that will help as well.

Obviously, sitting in the restaurant isn't about the pie.  It's about the opportunity.  It's about making myself available to a much wider "audience" than just my congregation.  It's about the possibility of engaging someone who needs prayer; someone who wants to ask difficult questions; or even someone who is openly hostile to the Christian faith.  It's about putting the Great Commission first and being outwardly focused.

Who knows what will come of it in the long term?  Maybe nothing.  Maybe something.  But at least the opportunity is there, and I'll get a chance to have some yummy pie.

No comments: