Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Through Burnout and Back: Counseling

Yesterday I took a trip to San Antonio for counseling.

I know I probably could have found someone closer, but the guy I saw, I trust.  I'd seen him before, and he was helpful.

Yesterday was no exception.

Some folks have a misunderstanding of counseling.  They think a person goes to a counselor to have the counselor fix them.  After outlining the problem, the counselor comes up with a laundry list of things to do that will help the person overcome his or her (or the family's) situation.  Some counselors may operate in this fashion, but generally, they aren't the best ones.  The best counselors realize they are not there to fix you.  You have to fix yourself.  The counselor helps you see things you can't quite see yourself or tries to offer you different approaches to view the problem in a different way--perhaps opening up an avenue for you to change.

I spent an hour with the counselor talking about the issues of burnout and how I got caught in it.  I told him what I had done in the past three months to start recovering from it, and he was pleased with most of what I was doing and had done.

We spent some time trying to discern how I got caught in the processes that lead to burnout and discussed ways I could keep from falling into it again. 

There was nothing earth shattering.

There was no, "Do this and you will be o.k."

There was no, "Follow these steps and you will be healthy, wealthy, and wise."

I didn't expect them.  Didn't want them.

Just needed some help seeing things a little differently.  A few suggestions on how to keep doing this were welcome and will be implemented.

Perhaps another session will be needed.  We'll see. 

No comments: