Monday, July 9, 2012

There's No Place Like Home

For a week, I get to stay at home with my folks.

Well, it actually hasn't been home for roughly 20 years since I moved to college, but deep in the recesses of my mind, I still consider it to be home.

Things have changed mightily since I spent the majority of my time here, but that's not a bad thing.

No longer do I get to hug my parents first when we arrive.  That designation now belongs to my children as they rush to hug their grandparents.  I just stand back and smile.

During the daylight hours, I no longer get most of my parent's attention.  It's given to their grandchildren because, well, the kids demand it.  I just stand back and smile.

My room isn't my room anymore.  It's a computer room and spare bedroom.  Most of my memorabilia is gone.  But the plaque on the door proclaiming this to be Kevin's territory is still there.  I just stand back and smile.

No longer do I have to worry about school or chores or asking my parent's permission to do anything.  Instead, this is a place of refuge--a place to put the worries of work away.  I can just stand back and smile.

My home town has changed over the years.  Several places are now closed down: the local auto dealership; several gas stations and restaurants.  But there is now a community swimming pool.  The park has great playground equipment for my kids to play on.  The bank and post office look exactly the same.  I just stand back and smile.

There will be several trips in the next few days: to grandmas house; the beach; museums; Port A.  My kids will be worn out, but they will enjoy every moment with their grandma and grandpa.  I'll take it all in and just smile.

For a week, I'll have plenty to smile about as I relax with mom and dad, my wife and kids.  No schedule.  Few interruptions. 

There's no place like home.

No comments: