Sunday, May 27, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend Tradition

One of the things that has become a special tradition for me as I serve here in Cat Spring is the replacing of flags on the graves of veterans every Memorial Day weekend.

Today I wandered around the congregation's cemetery looking for the veterans and taking the tattered Stars and Stripes, replacing them with shiny, new flags.  I noted the names of these people I never knew.  We were only joined by the common link of a faith and country shared.  Each time we celebrate Holy Communion, I know I join these saints at the Table, and each time I touch the sand of their graves, I join the thanks of others who commemorate their service.

Some may argue the line between separation of church and state becomes a little too blurry in doing such a thing.  There is some merit.  But, for me there exists quite a bit of space between doing absolutely nothing in church to celebrate one's nationality and draping the altar with a nation's flag.  To me both extremes are unacceptable.

But I'm very much at peace with what we do as a congregation.  As I look upon the faces of those who lost loved ones in war as we remember them in worship, I see the thankfulness.  As I walk with some of the older folks through the cemetery, I see how much they appreciate having their pastor honor those who have fallen and those who served.  We're making an important connection--the intersection of faith and daily life.

It's an important connection.  One I have come to appreciate and look forward to.  It's early, but here's an early salute to those who gave their lives in service to our nation.  And here's another to those who have served and are serving from one who doesn't know a darn thing about military service but who still appreciates what you have done and are doing.

No comments: