Friday, April 27, 2012

A Day to Remember: Kaylee's Birthday

I'll not forget.  Unless Alzheimer's or dementia takes my memories.

Six years ago this afternoon, I was visiting one of my members at a home construction site--a home that our congregation was building.  I had forgotten my cell phone that afternoon.

As we sat on what was to become the porch, talking and visiting about the project, I looked down the road to see what appeared to be our mini-van heading toward us.  I remarked, "That looks like our mini-van."

As it turned up the drive, I said, "Yep, that's our van.  I wonder what is wrong?"

A few moments later, my wife jumped out of the van and said, "We need to talk."

"O.K.," I responded.

"Kim called from the adoption agency.  She was talking to me about the Mother's Day celebration the agency was throwing this weekend. She asked if we were planning on being there, and I told her we were and that I was planning to bring some cheesecake.  She then said, 'That sounds good, and by the way, Kevin said you were looking to get back on the adoption list.  How soon is too soon.'" 

My wife continued, "I said, 'Do you have a birth mother looking to place?'  Kim replied, 'No, I have a baby.'"

A  young woman had had a baby in the bathtub early that morning and was looking to place for adoption.  The child was a bi-racial, little girl and no other couple at the agency would consider a bi-racial child at the time.

Kim said, "Since you already have a bi-racial child and were looking to get on the list, we were wondering if we could show her your life book."

My wife looked at me expectantly.  I said, "It doesn't hurt for anyone to look.  Let's give them permission."

We called the adoption agency right then and there and gave them permission.  We talked to Victoria at this point, and she said, "I'll get back to you later."  I assumed at this point it would be the following day when we heard back.

I then turned to my member and said, "I need to go.  My wife and I need to talk."

"I understand," was the reply.

We headed out to dinner to talk about the possible, massive upheaval.  As my wife and I visited, we checked off everything on our list: finances, we were good; room in the house, no problem; baby equipment, we had everything; baby clothes, well, we just had a baby girl and hadn't gotten rid of a thing: check; did it fit into our timing, no, but you know, that's really not a good reason to say no.

After dinner, we headed to Brookshire Brothers Grocery Store.  We needed a few items, and as we walked back out to the car, my phone beeped at me.  There was a message.  From the agency (I had a pretty lame phone that couldn't get very good signal in a metal building).  Victoria's voice came from the speaker, "I showed birth-mom your book.  She'd like to meet you.  Tonight."

"Oh, cr@p!  A trip to College Station?  Tonight?  With a 16 month old?  Well, we can do it."

A quick trip home and a quick bath for the girl, and we headed out.

An hour and a half later, we saw the little bundle of joy that was to become our daughter.

There were a few hiccups in the adoption process, but everything eventually worked out for the best.  In the space of only a few hours, our relatively stable life had been turned upside down, but you know what?  I don't regret it in the least.  Take a look at this smiling face and tell me  you wouldn't feel the same way:



A Blog to Hope said...

Kevin, I love this story! A few months ago my husband and I decided to start the adoption process. I hope and pray that our adoption story is as lovely as yours. Congratulations and happy birthday to all you.

Kevin Haug said...

Thank you. I wish you and your husband well in the process. It can be an emotional roller coaster at times, but when things all come together it is one of the best experiences. Are you looking at open or closed adoption?