Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Wonders of Technology

A couple of years ago, I wrote my first book.  It's entitled: What is God Calling You to Do and Be?  Discerning God's Will for Your Life.

Those who have read it gave me good reviews, and of course, I wanted to have it published.

Of course, that's when I ran into the proverbial brick wall. 

Do you know how difficult it is to get something published through a publishing company?  Do you know how many would-be authors are out there trying to get their stuff published as well?  Do you know that you really need connections to get the process moving if you are a first-time author trying to break into the field?

I didn't, but I do now.

I was pretty disheartened when all of this took place.  When you spend hours writing a book, you want to share it with as wide an audience as possible.  I personally didn't write the book to make tons of money off of it, but I still wanted folks to read it.

Therefore, I self-published through a local printer.  True to my word, I sold each copy for $10.   Yeah, I lost money on the whole ordeal, but at least I published it.

Yet, I longed for a wider audience.  I longed to have the chance to get the book out there into the larger public arena.  I figured a way would open if I would remain patient.

Fast-forward to yesterday afternoon.  I was checking on an Amazon order I had placed.  After scrolling to the bottom of the screen, I noticed the link:  Independently Publish With Us.

"Holy cow!" I thought.  "Is this what I think it is?" 

Thoughts of checking my order quickly left as I clicked on the link and found that I could indeed publish my work to Amazon's e-reader store.  A somewhat limited audience, but still, a great find for yours truly.  It was amazingly easy to complete, and this morning, I received a confirmation email that my work had indeed been published and is added to Amazon's Kindle Store.

Ah, the wonders of technology.  Now, there really is a free market of ideas out there.  It may be that no one will buy my book.  It may actually sell a copy or two, but at least it's out there.  Who knows what will happen with number two.

For those who would like to check it out, or perhaps purchase my book, click on the link below:

Amazon's Link

No comments: