Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Why I Joined Netflix

I am a pop culture illiterate.

I freely admit this.

At one time, I wasn't.  At one time, I knew the music that most people listened to.  I knew the television shows which were most popular.  I knew the top movies.  Many times, I'd take time to listen to the music or watch television so that I could relate to the pop culture.

But I stopped.

Mostly it's because I found much of what passes in pop culture to be nauseating.  I mean, most of the stuff that is put out is intellectually bankrupt.  Rarely do they tell good stories anymore in movies, and when they take a good story and put it into production (i.e. Lord of the Rings) they use artistic license to warp the story and change things drastically. 

I stopped listening to modern country and western music when partying became the main theme and artists scrapped tradition to make a buck.  Television shows don't interest me either.

Yet, there are times when I still need a technology escape.  There are times when I still need a chance to let my brain zone out and be entertained. 

Netflix gave me the opportunity to do such a thing and choose which movies I want to subject myself to.

Now, their selection isn't the greatest, but it's adequate for my purposes.  Streaming movies online gives me opportunity to watch things when the kids have occupied the television sets.  I can half-way see what pop culture is producing without having to subject myself to it ad nauseum.  And it's pretty cheap: all things considered.

And since I'm still wading through Nietzsche while researching for my book--I darn sure need some of that entertainment.  :-)

No comments: