Thursday, February 2, 2012

There is a Problem with Too Much Change

Recently, I have begun to appreciate the point of view of those within churches who complain that too many things have changed too quickly.  Interestingly enough, it was computer games that caused my appreciation.

I am not necessarily what some would call a gamer.  Do I play video games?  Sure, but it's no longer something that consumes hours upon hours of my time as it once did.  Part of it has to do with time constraints, and a refocus on more important things in life.  I mean, when suddenly your family explodes from two adults and two dogs to two adults, three kids and three dogs, other things become much more of a priority.  One has fewer moments for games when dinner needs to be cooked, homework needs to be done, and kids need help building train tracks, playing outside, or riding bicycles.  Such things are much more important than manipulating pixels on a computer or television set.

The other reason my game time slipped substantially has to do with change, and here is where my sympathy has grown for those who resist change in church or society in general.

It seems like every two or three years Microsoft decides to upgrade Windows.  I've been through numerous transitions  (3.0, 3.1, '95, '98, 2000, XP, Vista, and now 7).  During the early years, I fell in love with several games which wasted hours of my time: Civilization 1, Civilization 2, UFO Defense, Colonization, Jedi Academy, and Knights of the Old Republic.  There was just enough of a mental challenge to keep me engaged and just enough repetitiveness to make things mindless.  The balance was perfect, and I enjoyed these games immensely.

But as graphic capabilities increased and processor speeds became faster and faster allowing higher resolution games, programmers decided to make such games more complicated with better graphics.  It's understandable, but there is also something to be said for the simplicity of such games.  I bought Civilization 3, played it through once or twice, and then quit.  It just wasn't as fun for me.  Games in the same vein as UFO Defense caught my eye from time to time, but they too lacked some of the pure fun and enjoyment of the original.  Reviews of the newer Colonization said it stunk, so I didn't even waste my money on it.  I bought Knights of the Old Republic II and was disappointed because it seemed like the game was hurriedly put out without much thought to the story, and I anxiously awaited The Old Republic's debut earlier this year.  However, I haven't purchased it, and I more than likely won't.  Why?

Well, The Old Republic is now an online gaming world.  I don't want that.  When I play on the computer, I want to do so without the rest of the gaming world watching.  I don't necessarily play well with others.  And, in my experience, when you play with others, they oftentimes quit and let you down--Hello Farmtown!  (As an aside, I quit that business when the programmers started adding all sorts of extras which took the game away from farming into industry.  Furthermore, they started setting aside certain items to be used only by buying them with Farm Cash.  It became too complicated and way too much of a time suck!)  While trying to make things new and inventive and exciting, oftentimes, in my humble opinion, such games become overly complicated for a simpleton like myself.

Throw in all those Windows updates now.  For one of the things that happens when Windows updates is a compatibility issue.  Games produced for earlier versions of Windows won't work with the new stuff.  I know that each set has a compatibility setting, but those darn things really don't work on the games I like.  Therefore, when one of my laptops died, I had my buddy reset the thing and install Windows XP.  At least some of my favorites will actually run on that one.

Which brings me to the point about change in congregations.  In a rapidly changing culture, many congregations feel the need to rapidly change as well.  New items are added to worship.  New programs are started up.  Technology is added.  More staff are hired.  Before you know it, some folks are scratching their heads asking, "What the hell happened to the congregation I joined?  This one bears no resemblance to it at all!  It's not simple anymore.  It's too complex."  Sometimes, folks leave because of this.

I understand.  I really do.

I don't play as many games as I used to because of the rapid change.  There's a similarity there, and I sympathize.

Does this mean I'll try to prevent my congregation from growing and reaching out?  No.  But it does mean I will be a little more sensitive when I hear folks talking about too much change, and if it is in my power, I'll make sure there is a place where the old ways are not forgotten.

No comments: