Monday, February 20, 2012

Sermon Delivered February 19, 2012: Treasure in Clay Jars

Some of you may remember the Country and Western singer John Anderson. He sang a little song called "I’m Just an Old Chunk of Coal." Take a listen:

I'm just an old chunk of coal
But I'm gonna be a diamond someday
I'm gonna grow and glow 'til I'm so blue pure perfect
I'm gonna put a smile on ev'rybody's face
I'm gonna kneel and pray ev'ry day
Lest I should become vain along the way
I'm just and old chunk of coal now Lord
But I'm gonna be a diamond someday

I'm gonna learn the best way to walk
I’m gonna search and find a better way to talk
I'm gonna spit and polish my old rough-edged self
'Til I get rid of ev'ry single flaw
Well I'm gonna be the world's best friend
Gonna go 'round shakin' ev'rybody's hand
I’m gonna be the cotton pickin’ rage of the age
Hey I’m gonna be a diamond someday

I'm just an old chunk of coal
But I'm gonna be a diamond someday
I'm gonna grow and glow 'til I'm so blue pure perfect
I'm gonna put a smile on ev'rybody's face
I'm gonna kneel and pray ev'ry day
Lest I should become vain along the way
I'm just and old chunk of coal now Lord
But I'm gonna be a diamond someday

I thought about this song when I read our second lesson and our Gospel lesson for this week from the books of 2nd Corinthians and Mark respectively because in many ways both of these texts are about change.
Mark’s story of the transfiguration of Jesus is rather obvious because Jesus is transformed or changed in the presence of Peter, James, and John. His clothing becomes dazzling white, and the disciples are given clear instructions, "This is my beloved Son with whom I am well pleased. Listen to Him!" The change in Jesus’ appearance and the voice from heaven are meant to show where Jesus’ authority and power come from, and I believe they were there for the benefit of the disciples to compel them to become even firmer in their conviction to follow Jesus.

In the same way, I believe we are urged through this text to become even more secure in our conviction that Jesus is Lord and Savior of all. I believe we are urged to take seriously our own callings to be Jesus’ followers, and to conform our lives to his.

And this is where things get a little tricky and where are second lesson comes in. Paul talks of the traits and qualities that Christians share. He says, "Therefore, since it is by God’s mercy that we are engaged in this ministry, we do not lose heart. 2We have renounced the shameful things that one hides; we refuse to practice cunning or to falsify God’s word; but by the open statement of the truth we commend ourselves to the conscience of everyone in the sight of God."

Now, let’s break Paul’s statement down piece by piece. First, he says that we as Christians do not lose hope. You and I know we live in a world that oftentimes drags us down into the pits of despair. We suffer. We grieve. We get stressed out and lonely. Whenever you turn on the television or radio, someone is always trying to scare you and tell you how bad things are or how bad they are going to get. Add to this the frantic pace of most of our lives, and you have a recipe for depression, anxiety, and hopelessness. Paul firmly states that Christians do not head down that pathway because we trust in God. Plain and simple. When you trust that God has a plan and a purpose, you can always live in hope.

Secondly, Paul says that we renounce the shameful things one hides. Of course, Paul is talking about our sin. Most of the stuff we do wrong, we tend to do it where no one is watching. We hide it away from everything because we know it’s wrong, and we don’t want to be discovered. Paul says, that we shine the light of Jesus into these hiding places. Jesus’ light drives off the darkness so that we can freely renounce the things we once did.

Thirdly, Paul says Christians refuse to practice cunning or to falsify God’s word. We do not seek to deceive anyone. We are truthful. We do not seek to get our point across by deception, rather we are honest and above board. This even extends to God’s word. We are not supposed to water it down or make it more palatable for others. We are to speak it truthfully, honestly, yet with great love. We aren’t supposed to lie about what is and is not a part of God’s word. We must realize that folks can and will check to see if we are speaking the truth; and we must realize God asks us to speak the truth.

For most Christians, we realize this means our lives have to undergo change constantly. In each of these points, we are constantly at war with our sinful nature which seeks to drag us back–drag us back to hopelessness–drag us back into sin–and drag us back into deceitfulness–drag us back to falsifying God’s word. Yet, there is a big difference between us and what John Anderson sings about. If you listened very closely to the song, you heard John say, "I’m going to learn the best way to talk. I’m going to search and find the best way to talk. I’m going to spit and polish my old rough-edged self, ‘til I get rid of every single flaw."

We know that we are not able to do such a thing. We know, as Christians, we can never turn ourselves into diamonds. We are not capable. Even though we know what is wrong, we oftentimes choose it. Even though we know things are hurtful to others, we still do them. And try as we might, we can’t change it. But there is one who can, and Paul speaks of this eloquently, "5For we do not proclaim ourselves; we proclaim Jesus Christ as Lord and ourselves as your slaves for Jesus’ sake. 6For it is the God who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 7But we have this treasure in clay jars, so that it may be made clear that this extraordinary power belongs to God and does not come from us."

It is Christ who comes in to change us. It is Christ who enters into our hearts to do battle with our sinful nature. It is Christ who works within us to bring us to: cling to hope, renounce sin, shun deceit, and faithfully adhere to God’s Word. We realize we are but made out of clay and that without the treasure of Christ within, we would be able to do nothing. Let that treasure work in your heart and mind to transform you that you may proclaim His goodness to the world. Amen.

No comments: