Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Interrupting Ring

Yesterday, I went to visit one of my congregation members who was recovering from shoulder replacement surgery.  I love visiting this particular member because she embodies hospitality.  Her parents owned a pub in England, and she grew up welcoming guests every day.

She is always warm and generous.  Even when she is having a rough go at things, she will always put a smile on her face to welcome you.  Never have I visited without her offering a drink of some sort--even when she would have had difficulty getting it.  Pleasant of demeanor, she nearly always tries to put the best possible understanding on a person's actions. 

About half-way through our visit, my cell phone rang.  Generally, the accepted practice in our age is to take the call even when visiting with someone.  I think I shocked my host and the lady who was helping her do basic things during her recovery.  I looked at my phone, didn't recognize the number, and stuffed the phone back into my holder.

I received some very shocked looks.

"Are you sure you don't need to get that?" my host asked.

"It wasn't my wife or a number I recognized that might be an emergency.  It can wait,"  I replied.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

A few moments later, the text tone went off on the phone.  I excused myself to look at the text and promptly responded barely breaking the conversation.

My host grew worried again, "Are you sure you really don't need to check that?"

I responded, "There is a reason they have voicemail on these things.  If that's an emergency or a serious deal, they will call back immediately.  I have a more pressing concern, visiting with you."

The look on my member's face was priceless.  I think it was the last thing she expected me to say because it's not necessarily the expected behavior in this day of cell phones.  Most of the time, we believe the call we receive is more important than the people who are right in front of us.

I call B.S. and shame on us for thinking we absolutely have to take every call even if we are in the midst of a conversation with someone right in front of us.  Most of the time, those things can wait.  By taking such calls--especially if they are not emergencies--we send quite a nasty message to those with whom we are talking with.  We essentially say to them, "You are important unless I get interrupted by the phone.  I'll give you my attention unless someone else needs to talk to me."  Bad form.

I know not many folks will dare to change such behavior, but I'm going to continue to do so.  Why?

Well, I could just picture a 21st Century Jesus sitting down with me to offer a prayer for me and then getting a call on His cell phone.  Do you think He would say, "Wait a moment while I get this."  or would He ignore it to finish His business with you?

No comments: