Thursday, January 5, 2012

Kiera's Birthday

I still remember the day I first laid eyes on my eldest daughter.  After nine long years of infertility and waiting on adoption lists, the day finally arrived when we became parents.  A young lady by the name of Pam chose my wife and I to be the adoptive parents of her little girl.

The Med at College Station wasn't too crowded that day.  We were led to a room in Labor and Delivery.  Kiera was born at around 8:15 that morning by C-Section.  I remember them wheeling the crib into the room.  Here was this little person.  Tiny, tiny, tiny.  My wife and I took turns holding, cradling, rocking, and enjoying the moment.  We fed her, changed her, and marveled at this life we were being entrusted with.  Among the numerous happy days in my life, this was truly one of the happiest.  Unfortunately, Kiera had to stay in the hospital another day or two before we could take her home.  As we prepared to leave and send her back to the nursery, we kissed her and told her good-by.  As the nurse wheeled her out, I said, "See you tomorrow!"  And she instinctively turned her head toward my voice!  Kiera will never know who her birth-father is, but even at day one, she knew her Daddy.


Two days later, we brought this little bundle of joy home.  We would undergo a six month probation time with the adoption agency, but there were no worries there.  We were more than ready to be parents, and neither of us minded getting up in the middle of the night to feed.  Neither of us minded taking care of diapers or bathing.  Neither of us minded the lack of sleep.  We were overjoyed!  I must confess at this juncture that I was particularly fond of this little girl, and I think she shared the same fondness.  She had a touch of colic.  It wasn't as major as it could have been, but it still affected her.  When it hit, no one could console her.  No one, that is, except me.  I'd stretch her belly out across my chest.  I'd wrap her in my arms.  She'd suck on her "binkie" and in moments would stop crying and go to sleep.  She was my girl.  Case closed.


It's hard to believe seven years have flown by.  It's hard to believe my little girl is growing big!  She's got ear rings now.  She probably knows the ins and outs of my phone and Kindle Fire better than I do.  She is excelling in first grade--an all "A" student.  There's no baby left in her at all.
Except when she comes up to me and raises her arms.  She looks at me and says, "Up hug, Daddy!  Up hug!"  I have to bend my knees a little more now.  I'm glad I've been working out.  Those up hugs require a little more effort.  But I'm giving them as much as I can.  All too soon, I won't be able to do it anymore, and she will not want them.  But for now...

Happy Birthday, Kiera Gail Haug.  We love you very, very much!

No comments: