Thursday, January 26, 2012

Enough of the Fundamentalist Bashing

Yeah, I've been there.  I've done that.  I've done my share of making fun of my "Fundamentalist" brothers and sisters in Christ.  It's an easy thing to do--depending upon one's own methodology of approaching the Christian faith.

For instance, for someone who is seeped in the historical-critical methodology of interpreting Scripture, one could potentially look down one's nose at "Fundamentalists" as ignorant of the "real" meaning of Scripture as informed by the historical situation in which it was spoken and how the original audience heard it.  I know I've gone round and round with such folks in my lifetime, and I once held such folks in contempt as ignorant souls who just needed to have a better understanding of the Bible.

(Since I have hopefully grown a little, I do realize many of them thought the exact same thing of me.)

The "Fundamentalist" bashing raised its head this past week at the Theological Conference I attended.  One of the presenters made more than a few sarcastic remarks about fundamentalists.  Of course, many in the room chuckled in laughter at the comments.  I couldn't because I have come to realize (mainly through reading Timothy Keller) that I too am a fundamentalist.  And not only am I a fundamentalist.  Everyone is.  It just depends upon what your fundamentals are.

One might argue vehemently with me here.  "I'm not a fundamentalist!  I believe truth is relative!"

Great, but listen to the sentences you spoke.  One of them is a fundamentalist position--even if it's an oxymoron.  The statement "truth is relative" is a fundamental belief.  It guides the way you look at life, at Scripture, or what have you.  Without that statement, you have no base--no core.  You are a fundamentalist, but you probably don't even realize it.

Such is Keller's argument when it comes to all of us as people, and all who consider themselves Christian.  We all have fundamental beliefs that guide the way we look at faith, interpret Scripture, and understand how we are called to act as followers of Jesus.  Those fundamentals differ across denomination and even from person to person.

What Keller would argue, and I happen to agree.  Is that oftentimes, our fundamentals need adjusting.  For instance, when one makes Jesus' teachings core to one's behavior and outlook on life, it changes the way you act toward others--including those you disagree with. 

Consider Jesus' words in the Sermon on the Mount:

21“You have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, ‘You shall not murder’; and ‘whoever murders shall be liable to judgment.’ 22But I say to you that if you are angry with a brother or sister, you will be liable to judgment; and if you insult a brother or sister, you will be liable to the council; and if you say, ‘You fool,’ you will be liable to the hell of fire.  --Matthew 5: 21-22

Read those carefully, and then apply them to your brother and sister who might be considered a "Fundamentalist."  Tell me then how you might be called to act toward that person. 

If we as Christians face our shortcomings (as difficult as that is), then we need to stop the Fundamentalist bashing.  Christ commands it, and the pot can't call the kettle black when it's the same color.

No comments: