Thursday, December 22, 2011

Teaching Giving

Yesterday morning, my eldest daughter came up to me and said, "Daddy, I want to get a Christmas present for Kaylee and Kevin."

Two simultaneous thoughts entered into my mind at the same time.  #1.  I am thrilled my daughter is learning the spirit of giving to others.  Yeah!  #2.  Oh crap, it's only a few more days until Christmas, and she wants to go shopping.  Do I really have to?

#1 won hands down.  If I can sense an inkling of something like generosity, caring, compassion, etc. in my children, I will try to nurture it as much as possible.  This would be no exception. 

So, last night, I loaded Kiera in the car with me to go get gifts for her brother and sister (and I found out at the store: Momma too.).   Not to be out done, my wife loaded up the other two children to go in a different direction to get something for Kiera--and, as I found out later, for me too!  We would have all the bases covered.

On the car ride to the Columbus, TX Walmart, Kiera babbled incessantly about what she wanted to get her brother and sister.  She talked at length about wanting to get Kaylee a mermaid Barbie, "so that my mermaid Barbie will have someone to play with."  Then, she started on Kevin, Jr.  "I'm going to see if they have a man mermaid so that he can play with me too."

Right then, I sensed a teachable moment--especially since the idea of my son playing with a mermaid Barbie doll--even if it is a guy doll--turned my stomach.  (It's o.k. if you want to leave me nasty comments about my reaction.  I don't mind.  Still won't change the fact that I'm old fashioned.)

"Kiera," I said, "does your brother play with dolls a lot?"

"Yes, Daddy," she replied.  "He always plays with us."

"Really?" I responded.  "That's not what I see.  What does your brother play with all the time?"

"Trains and cars," she said.

"Look, sweetie, I really like that you want to get your brother and sister a gift.  I'm very proud of you for thinking about them.  But one of the things you need to realize is that when you get someone a gift, you try to figure out something they really like and they would really like to play with."

My daughter sighed as she thought about it.  Then she errupted with babbling once again, "Kaylee really likes my Barbie laptop.  I need to try and find her one.  I need to look for Cars 2 stuff or Thomas stuff for Kevin.  He really likes that.  But Kaylee really likes Barbies too, and I know she'll like a mermaid Barbie...."

Kevin Jr. ended up with a Thomas the Train set.  Kaylee ended up with a mermaid Barbie.  Kiera was insistant that Mommy needed a gift too, but I won't list what she got her mommy because Mommy will read this blog before Christmas.

I was proud of my daughter.  She starting to get it.  She has the desire to give, and she just needs a little teaching to flesh it out.

No comments: