Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Reflections on Cruising: Part 3

Each time I have returned from a cruise, I have wondered what it would be like to work on a cruise ship.  I have wondered what it would be like to serve people day after day after day.

Now, I am acutely aware that as a pastor, I do serve people on a daily basis.  However, there is one major difference between what I do as a leader in the church and what many people who work on cruise ships experience.

I have authority.  It's a limited authority, but I do have authority.

Many folks who work on a cruise ship do not.

Cabin stewards and their assistants clean cabins disposing of waste and garbage and deal with folks "junk" on a daily basis.

Waiters and their assistants bring food and beverage and clean up after folks each day.

Bar tenders are expected to deliver drinks in a timely manner at the beckoning of someone's desire.

Customer service folks have to deal with complaints and questions over and over and over again. 

Most of these folks have little or no authority, and oftentimes they are looked down upon by cruise passengers who should know better.  Unfortunately, they have to deal with passengers who consider them second class citizens who are there to cater to their whims at a moments notice--and they are supposed to do so with a smile on their face (no matter how obnoxious or rude they themselves are being).

I've often wondered if I could handle such a thing?

I've often wondered if I could handle being looked down upon?

I've often wondered if I could serve someone who was openly obnoxious who showed me no respect?

Honestly, I'm not sure.

I think it might be a little difficult.

But...

Isn't such servanthood what we are called to as Christians?

This is why, in some reaches of my brain, I have fantasized about being a cabin steward or a waiter onboard a cruise ship.  I have thought about what it would be like to be considered a servant of all in such a fashion--serving without authority or ability to talk back.  I have thought about what it would be like to serve without the burden of leadership.

It's humbling trying to put myself in such a position.  And I wonder what it would be like if more folks sincerely did the same.

No comments: