Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Black Fri..., no Thurs..., no Monda...Uh, What?

Ah, here we go.

Thanksgiving week. 

Cue the requisite build up to the Christmas shopping season.

I can't tell you how many stories I've already seen harping on how best to get the Black Friday deals--ahead of time.

"Some Stores Already Running Black Friday Specials"

"Buy Online, and Get Black Friday Prices a Week Early"

"Stores Opening on Thursday to Entice Black Friday Shoppers"

Good grief!

How long before we're bombarded with videos of people trampling one another heading into stores?  (Hint, wait until midnight on Thursday.  I'm sure we'll see at least one posted on the Drudge Report.)

It's almost enough to make one have a Lee Corso moment.

http://blog.chron.com/cougars/2011/11/a-commemorative-piece-of-curso-err-corso-uh-gameday-history-and-hoops-recaps/
Oh that most of us would just throw up our hands and let such things go.  I mean, it's nothing more than blatant consumerism and greed trying to get us to buy more, spend more, and procure more than we really and truly need.

Me.  I'll take a raincheck.  I'm going to enjoy Thanksgiving Day with my family.  I'm going to sleep in on "Black Friday"--or at least as long as my children will let me.  I think I'll take them to a park, weather permitting, and I think I'll avoid the shopping centers like the plague.  I don't need to be a part of those mass mobs.  I don't need to be a part of getting the best deal.

I'd rather be a part of getting the most quality time with my family.

No comments: