Thursday, October 6, 2011

Another Facebook Saying

Facebook is the gift that keeps on giving when it comes to theological reflection.

Today's nugget from Susan B. Anthony:

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires.
Very good quote.

Great constructive criticism of those who like to give their agendas theological justification.

But ultimately short-sighted.

For what if, in my not so infinite wisdom, I suggested that I believe with all my heart and all my being that God has called me to minister to the poor--to make sure the hungry get fed, the naked get clothed, and the sick receive treatment.

What if, I dedicated my life to such a pursuit.  My own desire, or God's?  What if I were adamant that I knew God had called me to such a task?  Am I one to be distrusted?

What if, I believed, again, with every ounce of my being that God called me to be a pastor?  What if I pursued the calling with a reckless abandon, forsaking better paying jobs and a chance for a higher standard of living to preach God's word to others?  What if I am an effective communicator of the Gospel, and people are fed and nurtured to follow Jesus Christ because of my dedication to this calling?  Am I to be distrusted because I am certain of my calling?

What if, as a CEO of a large corporation, I find myself drawn to use a good chunk of the profits of the corporation to invest in the community around me?  What if I believe this is a calling from God, and so I convince the board to direct the money to literacy programs, affordable housing programs, infrastructure programs, and local food banks?  What if the board called me crazy, and I replied, "I believe God wants me and us to do this, and there is nothing you can say to dissuade me."  Am I to be trusted for my strict adherence and belief?

Susan B. must say, "Yes." across the board.  And she might be right, but she could very well be wrong.  For God indeed does call each and every one of those of us who call ourselves Christian.  And God equips us to do the things He calls us to do.  And many, many times, we who have been called are adamant in our belief that God has called us.  And often, we face ridicule for holding onto that belief.

But ultimately, our sense of call cannot be judged until it is affirmed by a greater community.

And ultimately, our sense of call cannot be judged until the fruits of our labor are shown.

And unless our sense of call is contrary to what is revealed about Christ in Scripture, it should not be ridiculed by others...

Unless they wish to apply it to every single instance where someone believes they know that God has called them to a task.

No comments: