Sunday, September 11, 2011

Stealing the Show

I was blessed this morning.

During our second worship service, as I was beginning my sermon, a toddler, who wasn't more than a year old slipped out of her pew and headed toward the front of the church.

I had delivered only a sentence  or two when she arrived at my feet.

Of course, I picked her up and held her.

Serious sermon today.  Will post it on the blog tomorrow.  Preached on the Old Testament lesson from Genesis 50 where Joseph's brothers come to him terrified that he will punish them for the bad things they did to him as a child.  Joseph utters a brilliant line, "What you intended for evil, God intended for good."

Focused on that message in light of all the trying stuff that is going on around:

One member recovering from a serious stroke.  Roller coaster ride up and down.  A few times, we thought we'd lose her, but she's always bounced back.  It's emotional walking with the family through this one.

Another family's 12 year old daughter suffered a heart attack, and we still don't know what the long term prognosis is going to be.  Another highly emotional situation.

Another member who had quadruple bypass surgery had to be life-flighted back to the hospital due to slow progress in his recovery.  Thankfully, he's doing better but has a long way to go.

The persistent drought shows no end, and not only is my faith tested, but many of my parishioners are seriously effected.

More than a few of my congregation members have had family members or friends lose homes to the wildfires raging around the state.  Several times, we've been inundated with smoke.  It's tense at times.

Add this to all the other stuff in the life of a congregation: searching for a new music director/organist in a rural area (a nearly impossible task), preparing for next year's budget, preparing for a new Bible Study, continued prep for my adult Bible Study, reading and self study that I had neglected for years, revamping Sunday School and leading that process, and knowing I haven't had the chance to visit many of my shut-ins for an extended period of time while dealing with the serious nature of all these other things.

More than a few times, I've been stretched thin.  As Bilbo Baggins says in the Lord of the Rings, "'I feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter, scraped over too much bread."

If it's not one thing, it's another.

It was an important message for everyone, including myself to consider.  "What you intended for evil, God intended for good."

But it's seriousness was tempered greatly by this little girl who wandered up to the front of the church. 

Innocence.

Cuteness.

Waving to her mother and pointing at her.

One cannot help but smile--even in the middle of so much stress and concern and heart ache.

About a quarter of the way through the sermon, I handed the girl back to her mother, but that wasn't the end.  After the sermon was done, we sang a hymn.  The little tyke slipped out again, and headed once again to the front of the church.

This time, she stayed with me for the rest of the service. 

She waved to her mom.

She pointed at people.

She looked at me and at the statue of Jesus above the altar.

My heart melted within me.

Jesus told His disciples once, "Let the little children come to me, and do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of heaven belongs."

I understand a little bit better why Jesus said this.  That kingdom of heaven reached down and touched me today as a little child came down to me.

She "stole the show" so to speak, and this is one pastor who is glad she did.

No comments: