Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Being a Shepherd

Really, there is only one Good Shepherd of the flock.  Those who are wise acknowledge it. 

There is a reason Jesus said, "11“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12The hired hand, who is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away—and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13The hired hand runs away because a hired hand does not care for the sheep. 14I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep. 16I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd." --John 10: 11-16

There is a great reluctance within me to acknowledge others when they call me a "shepherd" of the flock here in Cat Spring, TX.  I am a far cry from the Good Shepherd.  I try to imitate Him.  I try to follow His commands, but I am a poor, poor imitation. 

I've heard it said more than a few times that we clergy are more like sheepdogs instead.  Faithfully herding the flock for the Shepherd.  Perhaps a better analogy, but I confess, a canine is usually much more obedient to his or her master.  A canine is usually much more loving and less rebellious once trained.  Alas, in my sinfulness, I am not quite so obedient.  Neither am I as forgiving or loving as a dog.  And neither am I instructed in Scripture to be like a dog.  I am commanded to imitate, as best as possible, Jesus Christ.

Therefore, I am stuck with being called a shepherd who works under the Good Shepherd.  (I am also a sheep, BTW.  One must truly admit such a thing as a Christian.)

Yesterday, I posted about the grief I am experiencing at the loss of an Associate Member of my congregation.  Some will shed no tears at his leaving, and I doubt he would have shed any tears if certain others would have decided to leave the church as well.  Sometimes, we sheep just don't get along too well, and we certainly don't imitate the Good Shepherd too well when it comes to such matters.

It is Jesus' desire and heart to gather all the sheep together.  It is His desire to go out and find other sheep which are not of the flock and bring them in as well.  It is His desire that all His sheep know, hear, and respond to His voice.  It is His desire for His sheep to desire the same thing.

And how do things usually play out?

If someone is just a little (or a lot) controversial; or if they stir the pot; or if they are a perceived troublemaker, we tend to rejoice as they go.  Now, I am not saying that the church at times doesn't need such things to happen.  Sometimes new growth can only occur after pruning.  Such is a fact of life.  But rejoicing?

I find it hard to see Jesus rejoicing as churches split or people leave in anger.  I find it hard to see Jesus saying, "Thank God this person left.  We can live in better harmony now."  I find it hard to see Jesus rejoicing over broken relationships and an unwillingness to work toward reconciliation. 

It happens.  Believe me, I know this.  But I do not find it a cause for celebration. 

Even a little shepherd like myself comes to know the sheep.  I know my folks' names.  I know their stories.  I know their struggles.  I have laughed with them.  I've cried with them.  I've built relationships with them.  I am protective of them, and I defend them from attack or misunderstanding by those who do not know them.  When they hurt, a part of me hurts.  When they rejoice, a part of me rejoices.  I want what's best for them, and Lord knows, I pray for them constantly.  I have become disappointed at times with some of their choices, but their good outshines the bad any day. 

And when you have worked so hard at building relationships and getting to know your flock, it hurts when one or two or more walk away.  You've got to give them the freedom to do so, even as you and the flock are diminished.  But, you trust them to the care of the Good Shepherd.  You pray that He continues to bless them, and you move on to continue the job the Good Shepherd gave you.  And perhaps, you cherish those moments with your sheep just a little bit more.

No comments: