Tuesday, August 9, 2011

What Happened to Healing?

No, really.

I mean it.

What happened to the ability of the church to cure disease with prayer?

Benny Hinn and some of those other folks not withstanding.

What really happened to folks being able to lay hands on the sick, the lame, the deaf, the blind, and having all things restored?

I've been having this Q & A with Jesus recently about this situation.  Many things have led up to it.

1. Reading and re-reading the Gospels (and the book of Acts), I am struck by how much of Jesus' ministry proclaiming the inbreaking of the Kingdom of God is also tied to His healing of the sick and the casting out of demons.  Folks flocked from miles around to have Him touch them and cure their diseases.  The evidence of the Kingdom was overwhelming and Jesus' proclamation was backed up by His actions. 

2. Jesus also, in no uncertain terms gave this power to those who followed.  Healings continued after He was taken up into heaven.

3. It seems the Church has abdicated authority in this arena.  I am struck by how many times the Gospel writers wrote about Jesus' teaching with authority "and not like one of the scribes." 

4. The reality of a hurting world that could use good news of the healing of diseases.  I have gotten to that point in my ministry where my heart longs for such healings to take place.  When I see the images in my head of a 12 year old girl who suffers from arrhythmia who has had a heart attack and died only to be brought back by defibulation...who is still hooked up to wires and hoses...whose parents sit in a state of shock and bewilderment...

When I see the picture in my head of a baby, four to six months old with a mask on his or her face crying and a mother desperately trying to comfort her child without being able to pick him or her up because of the wires and tubes...a mother whose eyes are filled with grief and agony...

When I think of a child in the community who at three suffered an attack on her brain which has rendered her incapable of controlling her movements or talking...but who has one of the most angelic smiles...and who should be running and jumping and playing...

When I think of two elderly gentlemen who are suffering with cancer...who I have eaten with...who I have worked beside...who I have had deep, meaningful conversations about faith and life with...who are undergoing the pains of chemotherapy and dealing with the uncertainty of what the future holds...

My heart longs and yearns to do as Jesus did...

To say, "Talitha cum," and have little girls rise.

To say, "Because of your faith, your child is healed."

To say, "Go, your faith has made you well."

I do not know why I have not seen such things happen.  I don't know if my faith is insufficient.  I don't know if such gifts are not imparted these days.  I don't know if such things would only serve to raise up individuals instead of point to God the true Healer. 

And please spare me the "God gives doctors the knowledge to heal these days" speech.  Furthermore, don't give me the "Healing is more about wholeness than curing" business.  Jesus didn't just make people have a sense of well being.  He didn't just send folks to doctors and help doctors cure diseases.  He healed folks.  Touched them.  Spat in their eyes.  Rebuked evil spirits.  Made illness flee.

And evidence of such things today is sparse.  What has happened?

I just don't know.

And so I wonder. 

What happened to healing?

No comments: