Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Voice for the Voiceless

It was just over a month ago that one of my members had a major stroke.

Her recovery thus far has been nothing short of amazing.  Physically, she looks very good.  Mentally, she's not quite recovered, but when almost 1/2 of your brain was taken out by a blood clot, it's going to take some time.

Unfortunately for her, the stroke was a result of a defective and infected heart valve.  Surgery had to be done to repair or replace the valve.  That surgery was yesterday.

Today, I had the privilege of visiting her in the hospital.  Her husband and family were told that my member needed things quiet for today as she recovered from the surgery.  Upon the doctors' advice, they stayed home today.  This is where being a pastor has special privileges.  I can get in.  Even on those quiet days.

This woman's husband expressed to me his worry before I traveled in.  You see, this woman cannot talk because of the effects of the stroke.  She can get one word out.  Maybe two.  She can answer yes and no.  But she cannot express herself well at all.  Her husband was worried she would need to, and no one would be there to help her communicate.

I arrived shortly after 11 a.m. this morning.  From my member's reaction, I could tell she was glad to see me.  It may just be what I saw, but I swear I saw relief in her eyes.  I don't know if she knew exactly why they were doing what they were doing to her.  I don't know if she was worried because her husband and family members weren't around.  I do know her countenance lightened when I said, "Hi."

It only took a moment to see that even though she was glad to see me, something wasn't quite right.  Looking into her eyes, noticing tears welling up, I could tell she needed to express something.  Seeing her expression, I asked, "Are you in pain?"

A feeble attempt to say yes was made with a nod of her head.  She was hurting.  She needed attention.

Luckily, a nurse came into the room at that very moment.  The nurse busied herself with collecting a blood sample, and I struck up a quick conversation.

In the midst of that conversation, I said, "She was indicating she was in pain.  She can't talk because of the stroke."

"I remember that," the nurse replied.  My member was not in this nurse's charge, but the nurse gave her a shot of pain medication anyway and promised to talk to the current nurse and remind her about my member's special needs. 

I thanked her graciously and was reminded what it truly means to be a voice for those who are voiceless and why we as Christians are called to do so.

I didn't ask the nurse to help my member because of some sense of justice or injustice.  It wasn't because my member asked me to help out.  And believe it or not, it wasn't because I felt it was the right thing to do--even though it was.

I have said before in the seven years I have been here, I have truly come to love the people I serve and work with.  They are a joy to be around and come to know.  This particular member I have known the entirety of those seven years.  I presided at her and her husband's wedding, and we laughed through the whole thing. 

We set it off when she asked me, "Pastor, how do I walk down the aisle?"

I replied, "Generally, you put one foot in front of the other."

That was only the beginning.  But there are other moments.  I've sat by this woman's side as her husband underwent emergency heart bypass surgery.  I sat at her bedside when she underwent heart procedures herself.  I've popped in to visit and enjoy their company.  I almost brought home a stray dog they were trying to find a home for.  I give her a hug every time she's in church.  She, among many of my members, is one I love.

And because I love her, I couldn't not speak out when she was in pain after her surgery.  I couldn't stand there and make her feeble attempts to communicate with the nurses go unheeded.  Someone had to be her voice when she was voiceless.  And I had no qualms because I love her.

There is much talk of justice by folks in our society today.  There is much talk about passing certain laws because life is unfair.  There is much talk of becoming active because God demands justice.  There is much talk about giving voice to those who are voiceless because of this sense of duty.

But these are the wrong reasons for doing so.  Everything we do as Christians, we are called to do with love.  Love drives us to alleviate suffering in this world.  Love drives us to end hunger.  Love drives us make the wrongs right.  Love allows us to do such things without condemnation or hatred of those who do not see the world as we see it.  For even as we see people commit wrongs, we know they are people who God wants to become His children.  They are people who God sees as His. 

Perhaps this is why Jesus tells us to love our enemies and bless those who persecute us.  He sees with the eyes of God.  And He calls us to go and do likewise.

No comments: