Monday, August 1, 2011

Give Them Something to Eat: Sermon Delivered July 31, 2011

2000 years ago, a man was informed about his cousin’s death. He was grieved by the news. He wanted to spend a little bit of time in reflection, a little bit of time in mourning, so he boarded a fishing boat and headed across a lake so that he might slip away to a deserted place. He had been spending quite a bit of time in the spotlight, and people were coming miles to see and hear him speak. But now, he needed a little bit of time. He needed some time alone just to be.

However, his time alone was short lived. When you heal the sick, cast out demons, and give hope to the hopeless, you are much in demand. A rumor had spread as to where this man was headed, so the crowd went by land to seek him out. And they found him. As he exited the boat, through his grief, through his weariness, he observed the crowd. He saw the pain they had been bearing, and he saw the hopeful expectation in their eyes. He knew he had given that hope to them. He knew his words and teachings were having an impact. He knew they looked to him for a word from God. They needed more. And he was the only one who could give it to them. Compassion filled his heart, and he moved about them healing them and curing their sick.

This was the outcome of the vision and teaching he had given them months ago. He had stood on the top of a hill and said these words:

3"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. 5"Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. 6"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. 7"Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy. 8"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. 9"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. 10"Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11"Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. 12Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. These words had challenged the very assumptions of the religious order of the day. Everyone knew that God loved those who were rich, wealthy, and had status and friends in high places. Everyone knew if you didn’t have such things, God was punishing you for your sins. But this man had dared challenge those thoughts. This man had dared to say, "God loves you and you are blessed when you are poor, when you mourn, when you hunger and thirst, and when you are persecuted." Those who heard those words marveled at them for they were poor. They hungered. They thirsted. They were persecuted. And they felt lower than dirt because of it. They felt like God had abandoned them. But this man dared to tell them that God had not abandoned them. Far from it, God had actually blessed them.

And this man had backed up his words. He not only told them God loved them, but he performed great signs and wonders that affirmed his teachings. This man said the Kingdom of God was coming into the world and it would reach into their very lives. And it did. Their sick were cured. The lame walked. The blind saw. The deaf heard. And hope grew.

But in that deserted place, hunger was growing. The crowd had traveled long distances to come to Jesus. They had traveled fast and light. The day was ending, and their stomachs pained. "Blessed are you when you hunger and thirst for righteousness," Jesus had said. And now, they hungered for bread. Bread the disciples thought was not available.

"Send the people home," they told Jesus.

"You give them something to eat," He replied.

"We have only five loaves and two fish," they said.

"It is enough."

And Jesus broke the bread and blessed the fish and there was enough to feed the multitude. There was an abundance. Jesus showed the Kingdom indeed was breaking into the world. Hope flowed in even more abundance as Jesus’ words came true, "You will be filled." In the Kingdom of God, you will be filled.
This text this week has taken on special significance for me following the past two weeks of vacation. For in this past vacation, I did something I hadn’t done in the past eleven years since I was ordained. I took a half a dozen books written by Christian authors with me.

Nearly every day, I found myself immersed in their writings. I devoured their insights into the faith. I found my toes being stepped on repeatedly as they exposed to me some of my shortcomings as a pastor and as a follower of Jesus Christ. Some of their commentary literally brought me to my knees. And even though there was pain involved, I kept reading. I kept delving into these books because I realized something as I read. I was being fed. Yes, there was confrontation, but there was also forgiveness. There was also affirmation. There was grace, and such grace nourished my soul which was longing for this spiritual food.

Those of you who follow my blog and who sit on council know that I have spoken of a dryness in my spirit. I felt fatigued. It felt a little like burn out as well as depression. Something within me wasn’t right, and I knew it. But little did I know what the problem really was until I began delving once more into the study of God’s Word and it’s application to my life as a pastor and as a follower of Jesus. For you see, I had neglected to dine on Jesus’ word. I had neglected to take time to be fed by Jesus himself. I had neglected my own spirit, and it needed to be filled.

When Satan was tempting Jesus after Jesus had fasted for 40 days and nights, Satan said, "Use your power and turn these stones into bread."

But Jesus replied, "Man does not live by bread alone but by every word that comes from the mouth of God."
I was not hungering for lack of bread, but I was hungering for God’s Word. I had not been spending sufficient time in that Word. Some of you might be surprised at that comment since I preach every week, and every week I wrestle with and read three Biblical texts. Yes, I do this, but it wasn’t enough. Little did I know but my spirit needed more. Why?

Because Jesus says, "You give them something to eat."

In our particular situation, there are not many here who are physically hungry. Most have enough to eat. Most are not like that crowd gathered on that hillside whose tummy’s were rumbling and churning. Most have plenty to eat even if they have a few cravings from time to time. So, the hunger I am called to address in my profession is a little different. It is the spiritual hunger–the longing for meaning–the longing for hope– the longing for purpose–the longings that can only be satisfied by walking with Jesus Christ, by dining on the Word of God.

I had been trying to give folks something to eat, but I found out this past vacation, that I wasn’t eating enough myself. I couldn’t give what I wasn’t receiving. It was burning me out. It was dragging me down. I was losing energy and vision, and so I have discovered that I must eat on a more regular basis. If I am to "give them something to eat," I must be willing to dine as well.

Oh, and did I mention to all of you who are gathered here this morning, this isn’t just Pastor Haug’s calling? Did I mention to you that you are disciples of Jesus Christ as well? Did I mention to you that you are called to "give them something to eat" as well? Yes, this is a shared calling that Christians across the globe have, and I must ask each and every one of us here this morning, are we taking the time to live on every word that comes from the mouth of God? Are we taking the time to dine with Him so that our spirits are fed and we can feed others? Are we growing in faith so that we have the strength, the energy, the purposefulness, and the power to offer this food to a world that is hungering deeply for it?

Think about that for a moment as you consider your life of prayer, of worship, of study, of silence, and of solitude. Do you make time in your daily life to dine?

"But, Pastor," you may say, "I come to church at least once a month."

Do me a favor. Next month, pick one day in the entire month. You can eat as much as you want for one hour during that day, but then you cannot eat the rest of the month. Would you have the strength to accomplish what you needed to do?

Oh, and if you like, you could try that for a week as well. Pick one day during the week, and you can eat for an hour all you like. Would you be able to accomplish your tasks?

Jesus says, "Give them something to eat." It’s our calling as a church and as disciples of Jesus. But how can we give others something to eat if we are not feeding on the richness and abundance of God that is poured out for us on a daily basis? Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that I couldn’t. I now am making time to dine more often. Will you join me? Amen.

No comments: