Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Sucker!

Last night at our council meeting, I spoke at length to the congregation council about some places where I was falling short in my job as pastor.  I particularly spoke about how I had been very comfortable in getting folks to become a part of the church, but I had not done a good job of offering opportunities for people to grow in faith.  I had not done a very good job of urging people to grow in their walk with Jesus and become better disciples.  A book that I had read during vacation was instrumental in my thoughts: The Great Omission by Dallas Willard.  I will be doing some blogging about this in the future as to why.

After the meeting, my congregation president took me aside and thanked me for what I had said, and he offered a story about a friend of his who reads his Bible for 30 minutes every day at lunch.  That little tidbit hit home with me because even though I spend time in sermon preparation and Bible study preparation every week, I do not spend enough time just reading the Bible.  I decided right then and there the 30 minutes at lunch idea was a good one. 

Today, I drove into Houston to visit a church member who is in the hospital recovering from a massive stroke.  On the way back, I stopped at Taco Bell to grab a bite to eat.  (Yes, I can afford better food than Taco Bell, but I like the stuff as it reminds me of the rare times my folks took my sister and I out to eat as kids.)  I took my Bible with me.

Willard urges clergy to spend time reading over and over and over again the Gospels, so I began with the book of Matthew and read as I ate my Enchirito cut the onions and my bean burrito.  The chapters seemed to pass by quickly, and before I knew it, I was breezing through Jesus' Sermon on the Mount.  Got me thinking about what in the world a church looked like that actually followed this teaching.  Got me thinking about what in the world a person looked like who actually followed Jesus' teaching here.  I also recognized just how short I fall in living up to this ethic of living.

I read Jesus' words in chapter five verse 42, "Give to everyone who begs from you, and do not refuse anyone who wants to borrow from you."

I kid you not, less than two minutes later, I notice someone place something on my table.

Two pens.

With little signs that read, "I am deaf.  Please give $2 or $3 to help me care for my family."

(From here on out, italics are the thoughts that ran through my brain.)

I looked at the pens.  Scam!  Don't do it.

Jesus: Give to everyone who begs from you...

Noticing several within the restaurant pulling out cash.  Give me a break, this guy probably pulls in more money than me in an year...TAX FREE too!

Jesus: Give to everyone who begs from you...

Remembering my training by those who work for charitable organizations who work with the poor, hungry, and homeless.  He knows where he can get assistance.  He's just preying on everyone's sympathy.

Jesus: Give to everyone who begs from you...

It's foolish.

Jesus: Give to everyone who begs from you...

and Paul: 22For Jews demand signs and Greeks desire wisdom, 23but we proclaim Christ crucified, a stumbling-block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25For God’s foolishness is wiser than human wisdom, and God’s weakness is stronger than human strength. --1 Corinthians 1:22-25

I reached into my wallet and pulled out a five dollar bill.  I placed it under the pens and stood to leave.  The man held up the pens for me to take, but I refused them. 

Jesus says, "Give to everyone who begs from you..."

Why would Jesus command such a thing?  Why would he knowingly tell His followers to give to EVERYONE who begs even if He knew they would be played? 

I'm sure there are lots of theories.  The best one I could come up with is to show just how different we Christians are called to be in the world.  When we are told to be protective of what is ours--to make sure it is used wisely--to prevent ourselves from being scammed, Jesus tells us to be overly generous.  Perhaps He does so to help us realize just where our cash comes from.  It's not ours after all, we are simply stewards of what He gives to us.

I still feel like a sucker for giving the guy five bucks.  Guess I still have a long way to go before my heart is in the right place.  But, I think I made a start.

No comments: