Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Letter to Sherry

For the past seven years, the congregation I serve has sought to help individuals through our Community Care Fund.  We unabashedly help people with rent, light bills, health care costs, food, etc.  It is one of the ways we minister to our surrounding community.

The other day, a young woman drove around and around Cat Spring centering on the church.  It was Friday, and our offices are closed.  I was out washing my car, and after seeing her drive around three times, I flagged her down and asked if I could help her.

She said she was trying to get to the church to ask for assistance, but the church was closed.  I informed her I was the pastor and offered to help her.  She told me her need, and I talked her through the steps to apply for funds.  She went on her way, and I awaited her request.

In the next few days as I waited, a thought entered into my head.  In all the time we have been helping others, it occurred to me that I had never witnessed to a single person we have helped.  Honestly and sadly.  I mean, I've handed out rent checks on behalf of the church.  I've handed out checks to light companies on behalf of the church, but in so doing, I had never looked those whom we were helping right in the eye and asked, "Do you know why we are doing what we are doing?"  Never did I even think to tell them this money was not just money--it was a gift through us from God.  It was God's way of reaching out to that person at that particular time and saying, "I will take care of you.  I will use my church to do so.  Know my love through these people."

I have sense resolved to do a better job of this.  Folks need to know why we do what we do.  A handout is just a handout.  It may or may not make a difference in someone's life.  Many will need again.  But, if we tie such things to God's love...if we tie such things to helping them know God cares...that can truly make a difference.

I hope to share with Sherry these thoughts in person.  But I will be going on vacation shortly.  I hope to see her today, but I am preparing this letter to include with her check as well.

Dear Sherry,

I hope I am not being too forward in writing this letter to you.  I have only met you briefly and spoken to you on the phone a couple of times.  I barely know your situation in life much less what you believe and what you do. 

But I feel compelled to write these words because I don't want our assistance to you to come across as a "Here's your check.  Good luck." sort of thing.  Far from it.

As a church, we believe it is our calling to reach out with the good news of Jesus Christ.  We know this takes place in many and various ways.  Sometimes it is through the words of a sermon.  Sometimes it's through the kind words of a friend or stranger.  Sometimes it's through a gift of money or helping someone in need.  It is our desire to use whatever means we can to convey to others how much God loves them and cares for them.

It is in this Spirit that we are helping you with your rent.  We do not want this to be seen as a handout.  We want this to be seen as God's way of coming to you during this difficult time and saying, "I care about you.  I care about your family.  I love you, and I am using my people at this church to provide for you during this time.  Never lose hope that I am always watching over you.  I will be with you always."

I hope that you can see this gift in this light.  We ask for nothing in return, and I mean that, nothing.  We don't require you to worship with us.  We don't ask for repayment.  We will not twist your arm and make you believe in Christ if you don't.  We simply want you to know Christ's care, compassion, and love.  May this check represent that to you.

God's peace be with you.

Sincerely,


Rev. Kevin Haug
St. John Lutheran Church of Cat Spring, TX

No comments: