Sunday, July 3, 2011

I Wonder How They'll Get Me Back

This morning, I modified an old joke I once heard and played it on my congregation.

As I finished my announcements, I began with this story, "Folks, I've been thinking about how we can take it to the next level when it comes to evangelism and making Christ visible in our community.

"And this weekend it came to me.  I started thinking about how we could use that acre and a half that we own where the old Cat Spring School  used to be.

"Have you ever seen the giant Christ statue in Rio de Janerio?  What if we built a statue like that?  What if it towered above the countryside and everyone who came though Cat Spring saw Christ towering above it?  Cat Spring would become synonymous with Jesus, and folks would know we put it up there.

"Now, I know the idea might come across as a little strange, but I want us to consider it just a moment.  I want us to think about it and contemplate it just a moment.  Then I'm going to ask us to do a little something that isn't exactly Lutheran.  We'll sit in silence for a moment to think about it, and if the Lord moves you to support such a project financially or otherwise, I'm going to ask you to stand up.  Janet will play some inspirational music to help you decide whether to stand or not.  So, please let's see how the Spirit moves us toward this project.

"Let us begin in silence."

After a few seconds of silence, I said, "O.K., Janet, will  you please begin playing."

With that, she began playing the Star Spangled Banner.

After the eyes stopped rolling, the rolls of laughter started.

I wonder how they will get me back?

(Better not ask that question.)

Here's the original joke I based my antics upon:

The minister was preoccupied with thoughts of how he was going to ask the congregation to come up with more money than they were expecting for repairs to the church building.

Therefore, he was annoyed to find that the regular organist was sick and a substitute had been brought in at the last minute. The substitute wanted to know what to play.

"Here's a copy of the service," he said impatiently. "But you'll have to think of something to play after I make the announcement about the finances."

During the service, the minister paused and said, "Brothers and Sisters, we are in great difficulty; the roof repairs cost twice as much as we expected, and we need $4,000 more. Any of you who can pledge $100 or more, please stand up."

At that moment, the substitute organist played "The Star-Spangled Banner."

And that is how the substitute organist became the permanent organist!

No comments: