Saturday, July 30, 2011

Another Practice to Re-evaluate

I had to run into Sealy this morning to pick up another gallon of paint for the girls' room.  I ran by AL&M and purchased what I needed.  Since it was nearing noon, and I'm batching it right now, I decided to grab a bite to eat.

I hadn't eaten at the local Chinese/Thai restaurant in ages, so decided I'd dine there.  I ordered and pulled out my phone to play a little game before my food was ready.  In a few moments, my Hot and Sour Soup arrived.

As is my usual custom, I started to bow my head.  Then, I stopped.

The Sermon on the Mount.

Jesus said, "Beware of practicing your piety before others in order to be seen by them; for then you have no reward from your Father in heaven...5“And whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, so that they may be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. 6But whenever you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you."  --Matthew 6: 1, 5-6

Hastily, I picked up my spoon, said a silent blessing in my head as I was dipping the spoon in the soup, and I began to eat.

Praying before a meal is something natural and instilled in me from the time I was little.  On more than one occasion, my mom and dad stopped us when we were in public to pray before eating.  I've done so with my family.  But, here is Jesus saying, "Don't do that.  All you really are doing is saying, 'Look at me.'  Pray in secret."

O.K., Lord.  I'm working on it.  Be patient with me.  I'm having to unlearn much of what I have learned.

No comments: