Thursday, June 30, 2011

Taking the Day Off

Friday is supposed to be my day off.

Except when I have a wedding or funeral or emergency.

In June, I had three weddings.  Three wedding rehearsals on Friday.

On the one weekend I did manage to have nothing scheduled (actually, I had a cancellation on a wedding), I ended up with two funerals.

Rest?  Recuperation?  What are those?

Enter scheduling days off during the week.

Today was one.

Houston Zoo with the kids.

A trip I had tried to take for over a month, but never could because of things popping up.

Part of my German work ethic says, "Tough it out.  Work your tail off.  It's your job."

But, the small portion of other ethnic blood which runs in my veins shouted just a little louder, "Take some time.  Be with your wife and kids.  You won't be able to do such things with them for long.  Before you blink, those kids won't want to do those things anymore."

Family time was and is precious.

I'm going to work extra hard to shove whatever guilty feelings I have aside.

Especially since my kids really love it when I take the day off.

No comments: