Friday, June 24, 2011

Protecting Our Neighbor's Property

I sometimes admire those for whom decisions are cut and dried.  There is a part of me which is very envious of those who can look at a given situation and decide what is right, what is wrong and have no war of conscience within themselves after making their diagnosis.

There are times when I wish I could function in this manner, which is why there are moments when I admire those who can look at the world this way.  I just happen to function in a different manner.  Because of the way I have been raised and the way I am put together, I usually can see things in myriads of ways.  I can take an argument and build a case from either perspective with relative ease.  This means I tend to see things very much in shades of gray, and, perhaps the most troubling for me, I realize I oftentimes make my decisions and my judgements without all of the relevant facts.

This is one of the reasons I flat out usually refuse to engage in political debate.  I know my ignorance.  I know I don't have all the facts, and I do not feel many of the sources which are around these days are reliable.  I personally believe many of the sources available whether in print or online only share the information they would like us to have instead of the whole picture.

Which makes it frustrating for someone like myself who likes to get the whole perspective before jumping into the fray.  I like to have all my ducks in a row before I begin offering my two cents on a given topic.  And if I enter into such a discussion or debate without having all the facts, I will wrestle with myself wondering if I have done the right thing or not.

Part of me was still doing this in regards to my jumping into the fray over CenterPoint Energy's decision to run power lines through Austin and the surrounding counties.  Honestly, I really had no reason to jump into the fray.  I own property in Bellville, and it would not be affected.  Neither would any of the proposed routes affect the church property at which I serve.  People need electricity, and they like paying less for it.  If I were to enter into this discussion, I could potentially set myself up for quite a bit of criticism.

Furthermore, it is my job to point the way to Jesus Christ as a leader in His Church.  I must be cognitively aware that when I take a stance on any particular issue, it will potentially alienate someone.  I certainly do not want to damage anyone's relationship with Christ based upon a particular stance I have taken in a controversial issue.  I must allow people to make their own decisions without compelling them to change their minds.

For instance, what if I have CenterPoint employees in my congregation who fully support what their employer is doing in wanting to build these power lines?  What if there are managers and others who have spearheaded this project and put hours of time and energy into them?  What if they read my blogs and my article in the Houston Chronicle, and they become not only angry at me but angry at the church and at God because of my actions?  Is this what I am called to do as a pastor?

Some wouldn't give a second thought to such matters, but I do.  I want to build up the Church and build up peoples' faith.  I do not wish to harm it.

Yet, I cannot help but hold onto my deep conviction that Christianity is not simply a belief in Christ--becoming a Christian not only means you believe in Christ, but you seek to live a life worthy of that calling. 

And it was in that spirit which I began thinking about my foray into this debate which affects many of my congregation members  AND many of my neighbors.  As this issue simmered in my brain cells, my thoughts turned to Luther's explanation of the ninth commandment:

The Ninth Commandment.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house.

What does this mean?--Answer.

We should fear and love God that we may not craftily seek to get our neighbor's inheritance or house, and obtain it by a show of [justice and] right, etc., but help and be of service to him in keeping it.

Not only are we supposed to not to craftily get our neighbor's house or inheritance (property could also be used here which paints CenterPoint's actions as completely un-Christian), but we are to be of help and service to him in keeping it

This means, in no uncertain terms, it is my job to help my neighbor keep his property.  It is the Christian thing to do.  While other denominations may not share this particular viewpoint, I wonder how many of my Lutheran colleagues are speaking out against CenterPoint's actions?  Are they also voicing their opposition to their neighbor's property being threatened? 

For I have become convinced that at least all Lutheran's should be moving to help their neighbors in this cause right now.  We are called to help protect our neighbor's property.  For me, there is no longer any confusion, and readers will have to bear with me as I continue to voice my opposition to this project. 

I will continue to seek to help my neighbor.

No comments: